Any tips? Going to de thatch my lawn this fall.

Old 07-10-17, 06:50 AM

Ok this fall Im going to rent a de thatcher from home depot. I have a lot of good sized areas in the lawn where the grass is thin and has brown dried dead grass and such matted down. Id never done this before. But I need some advice so that when I do it, I do it right. Im waiting till fall for when its cooler so the seed I spread grows better. I just want to see if there any tips or advice someone has. When I do something I like to do it right the first time.

Oh and should I put down fertilizer when I put seed down at the same time? Put it down before? After? Or put no fertilizer down with the seed?

Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of seed to use? I live in northern ky near cincinnati ohio. Lawn gets a good amount of sun but I live in a countryish area so not like I have city oppressive heat all the time. I want something that looks decent but is good against summer droughts and not too delicate.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-17, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by Gargus
". . . I live in northern ky near cincinnati ohio . . ."
Then I wonder why your profile says you're in CANADA ?

That's the Country showing in the upper right hand corner of your post(s).

Old 07-10-17, 07:39 AM
Here's an old(er) thread that might add some ideas:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/la...umps-lawn.html

Old 07-10-17, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
My 2 is not to bother. Most lawns do not actually have a thatch problem and, if you actually do have one with a cool season grass, it's likely from too much quick release nitrogen fertilizer.

I would schedule a core aeration (which would solve a thatch problem anyway if you had one) and perform a soil test.

Old 07-10-17, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
I am not a de-thatch person. I've never seen a lawn that actually needed it but it can help when overseeding. When you over seed I would put everything down at the same time.