drainage in my yard?

Old 07-15-17, 09:36 AM
drainage in my yard?

All was well until my neighbor tore his house down and built a new one.
Now all the water from his front yard drains over to my yard, down to the back and into a lake. In doing so it washes away my mulch and his mulch and dumps it all in my garden. The low path is right between our lots.

I had two landscapers quote on fixing it.

First guy wants to dig out the existing low spot and put in a perforated pipe and cover it with cobbles. He will run the pipe to the top of a 14' retaining wall and let it spill on concrete blocks on its way to the lake. (We each have a shed with about 2' between them, so the concrete blocks won't be seen.)

The second guy says the Dept of Environmental Conservation will not allow dumping the water in the lake, eventhough it will go there anyhow. He also says perforated pipe will just clog up and stop working.
He wants to put in 3 small drain boxes along the path to the lake, and plumb them to an existing downspout. He says that it just goes to the lake also, but since it is existing the DEC won't have anything to say about it. He assures me the 4" pipe will have plenty of capacity to handle the gutter water along with the new ground water.

I would appreciate any advice on all this.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-17, 10:43 AM
Was there a Zoning Hearing held BEFORE your Neighbor altered his property and began draining his lot onto yours ?

Did you attend ?

Old 07-15-17, 11:42 AM
Yes, there were hearings. He wanted variances to build a bigger house than allowed and to put it closer to the street than allowed. (he was denied the first and partially allowed the second if he made the roof lower than otherwise required) The issue of drainage never came up, except they required him to plumb his roof gutters to a cistern rather than to the lake.

But that brings up an interesting issue... My front year is bigger than his, and slopped to run off the side. But my water just dissappears. Why does his just run off? He thinks maybe the problem will get better once his lawn is in. Is that possible?

Old 07-15-17, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
First, If the neighbor altered the natural flow of water he is responsible. If they changed the grading to send the water over to your property then the problem is their fault and their responsibility to fix. Unfortunately this usually takes a law suit to bring about. Hopefully when their lawn is fully in it will not allow as much water to head your way but if that's how they graded the yard it's going to be a permanent problem.

Old 07-15-17, 01:31 PM
Since I have no interest in a lawsuit, lets just assume that I am going to have the problem fixed.

Old 07-15-17, 01:53 PM
I would expect that the Application for the Building Permit included the finished grades and elevations for the lawn in addition to specifying how the roof and driveway run-off was going to be controlled.

Even if it wasn't discussed at the Hearing, it might be worthwhile to take a look at the original Application and the Approved Permit to see if these finished grades are mentioned, and if the finished building and landscaping is in compliance with what was approved.

It may be that by approving the plans, the municipality erred in not considering that you would be inundated by the Applicant's run-off.

Neither you nor any abutter should be suffering any unintended consequence arising from this re-development, even if they didn't attend the Hearing.