Replacing a rock bed

Old 07-17-17, 07:00 PM
Received 142 Votes on 132 Posts
Replacing a rock bed

Picture not what I wanted:

Our sub is going to clean out a couple of rock beds that get to be a weedy mess and replace with sod which will be cut along with the commons areas.

The area circled is a drain pipe and you can see that dirt has washed down and weeds grow.

My first thought was to remove all the rocks, clean out the dirt in front of the pipe, and install sod.

Thinking it might be better to dig out the area in front of the pipe and fill with rocks, have plenty.

Figure it will eventual fill up with dirt but stay open longer with a rock base in front of the pipe.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  43.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-17, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 448 Posts
Pretty hard to tell what exactly is going on there.

Looks like plenty of water from the street runs to there.
Was that just a place to get rid of extra rock or does that whole area get flooded ?

Drain pipe..... to where? Does it handle all the water now ?

Old 07-18-17, 10:15 AM
Received 142 Votes on 132 Posts
Originally the bed was intended to be decorative but if you have rock beds they fill up with leaves etc and weeds start growing, looks like krap!

That is one of the drains off the street, no flooding that I have seen but being close to a dirt road debris gets tracked in and eventually gets washed down there.

The question is what would be better to trap the dirt before going into the drain. I suspect that just having grass in front of the drain will quickly fill up with dirt where as a pit full of rocks, something along what is there now, will have more volume to trap dirt and look like krap more into the future.