Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Am I overthinking this #1 - is this too much of a restriction in water flow?

Old 07-25-17, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

this valve feeds a drip system as 1 zone in our sprinkler system. This was set up by the sprinkler installer (I've taken issue with loads of things with his work, so feel free to throw him under the bus for this also). The garden hose has seized onto the valve.

I cut the hose and am looking to replace the valve.

Looking around on the web for a replacement, I saw a review of a similar part pointing out how small the opening to the ball is.

Yeah, for this also... this is a BIG restriction in flow rate, right? Yeah, it's a drip system for a home so if I did the math, I'm likely not using all the flow possible anyway. But for me, I figure why limit things if I can avoid it.

I wound up realizing I can use this coupling to connect the hose and it has a much bigger inside diameter.

Yeah, the pressure reducer, drip feedline, etc are also limits. but that small hole in the valve - is that a big bottleneck?

Name:  z1.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  12.1 KB

Name:  z2.jpg
Size:  12.6 KB

Name:  z3.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  9.6 KB

Name:  z4.jpg
Size:  10.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-23-19 at 01:22 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-17, 06:59 AM
Am I overthinking this #2 - Lead exposure from a drip system

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill here? Replacing a valve for the drip system fed by my sprinkler system.

Some of the new valves in the store have a tag warning about this part having chemicals that the state of CA consider as carcinogens and / or don't talk of being lead free (some valves / parts DO make a point to say they are 'lead freee', which one of them says contains less than .25% of lead by weight.

The drip system waters plants that we have on our deck that are growing vegtables.

If I use the parts that california doesn't like and / or aren't lead free, the water feeding the plants will have lead in in. The plants will take up the water (and lead) and the vegtables will have lead in them?!

And I'm also feeding some misters on the deck for when it's hot. Conceivably, the water would have lead in it, it gets atomized and then inhaled. Lead in the lungs...

Overthinking? Paranoid? Or rightly concerned? I drank from garden hoses over the years and I'm OK so far (other than the paranoia). There's worse environmental risks out there?

thanks!

Old 07-25-17, 07:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
2 weeks ago, I was called to remove what you called a "ceased" hose. The owner couldn't do it & neither could a neighbor who is a contractor. The more that you squeeze it, the harder it is to turn. I cut a slit in it with a hammer & chisel & turned it. It took about 15 minutes. To answer your question, yes you are overthinking it.

Old 07-25-17, 07:22 AM
Shorty - thanks for the reply. Yeah, I also forgot to ask - any thought on why the hose / valve seized together? Never had that problem on a hose / house spigot and they are screwed on in the spring / disconnected late fall also.

as for overthinking - yes? to both questions? (is the small opening in the valve not a big deal? and is it 'ok' to use non lead free parts in a water system watering a small amount of food?)

Old 07-25-17, 08:09 AM
Two weeks ago was the first time that I saw a hose that no one could remove from the bib. It's a soft metal & the more you squeeze it, the harder it is to turn. I had heated it with a torch & it still wouldn't move. Finally, I used a hammer & chisel. That widened it & it turned with ease.

I never saw a zone valve like that but I don't think it should hurt the system. Are the zone valves in a pit box? As far as the chemicals bothering the fruit or whatever you're growing, the best thing to do is to have the water tested after it passes through the system. Who knows what's in the water?

Old 07-25-17, 08:23 AM
test - yeah, I was thinking of that.

That's not a zone valve. those are in the ground. this valve just screws into the end of the hose coming out of the ground. keeps buigs / dirt from going into the tubing?

hurt the system - but that small opening DOES restrict the amount of water that can flow, right? a 3/4" tubing can carry X gallons / minute. But put this valve in line and you'll get (much?) less than X gals / minute coming out of that spigot?

Old 07-25-17, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
At first I was thinking that valve was put there to reduce the flow to the mister/drip line.

A mister or drip line uses very little water. I seriously doubt that valve hampered the delivery.

Old 07-25-17, 05:43 PM
PJ is correct. The valve didn't hamper delivery. Test the water to see if it's safe & that's all.