Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Brick Path | How to connect it to/through retaining wall?

Old 07-25-17, 09:29 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for some help on this one. I have no experience laying pathways, or doing any kind of stonework at all, so I'm kind of at a loss for what my options are here.

My problem is that I don't know the best way to get the pathway integrated through the retaining wall to get down to the cement/front door pad.

I considered removing some retaining stones all the way down to the ground. That would give me room to just grade the path downward at a gradual slope until it was level with the path. But, this might be dangerous for people walking on it during the winter if it got a bit icy? Also, the yard already has a natural slope away from the road and toward the front of our house (our whole property has a continuous slope away from the road, and a significant drop off the backside of the property line), if I did slope the pathway, would drainage be an issue? We obviously get a lot or rain in Seattle, but I actually think the sloping pathway might HELP with drainage. Wouldn't any extra water just run off the yard, onto the path, and then drain off into the gravel?

The other option I was thinking was leaving the retaining wall stones as you see it in the picture, and then somehow securing and extending the path over the top of the middle layer of wall stones. That would be a "step" of sorts, and then I could remove a bunch of that gravel to lay in some more brick for a landing that is flush with the cement pad. The problem with this is that I have zero idea how to secure bricks over the tops of retaining wall stones; also, I would probably have to fill in the gaps between the wall stones with some cement or something if I was going to do this, yeah?

Any thoughts?

Name:  IMG_9590.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  50.2 KB
Name:  IMG_9591.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  50.2 KB
Name:  IMG_9592.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  50.5 KB
Name:  IMG_9594.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  50.5 KB

Old 07-26-17, 02:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It's always best for water to drain away from your house! Changing the grade so it goes toward the house is asking for trouble. I suspect that is the reason the wall was installed in the first place. If you install steps they should be separate from the wall as in removing a section and then building the steps. Icy walks are always dangerous!

Old 07-26-17, 08:45 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks marksr

Yeah, I'm leaning toward just removing all of the stones as well, and just starting a fresh new step area. If I did that, I'd be left with a half-exposed retaining stone on either side of the steps. Is there a solution to making that look a little bit better? Would I have to split a retaining stone in half? Or do they make half-cast retaining stones to create nice flush wall ends?

Old 07-26-17, 09:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've never worked with those types of stones so I don't know if they make 1/2 ones or not but it shouldn't be big deal to split one in two.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: