Help with path edging

Old 07-26-17, 06:43 AM
Help with path edging

Hi,
Just need help with deciding what type of edging to put on my path. Originally, I was just going to put river stones along the sides of the path, but the problem is that the trench I dug for my path is too deep, about 4", while the concrete path height is about 2". Would this plan be feasible?
Name:  path edging.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  15.2 KB
Or is putting in pound in edging a better idea? I worry that the mulch would eventually run off on to the path.
Name:  fac0d87d-2405-48f2-bd2c-e8fd96607f20_145.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  3.7 KB
Any helpful suggestion would be great!
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-17, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
Why is the top of the concrete below the grade of the lawn?

Old 07-26-17, 07:07 PM
Newbie mistake. First time making a path and was too concerned about keeping the trench flat for the path and didn't realize that I dug too deep. Is there anyway to fix this without starting over?

Old 07-27-17, 03:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not all that fond of the plastic edging, more times than not it doesn't stay put or it bends over.
I like the rock idea both as something that should work and aesthetically. Ideally you'd build up the concrete walk with either pavers or 2" layer of concrete.

Old 07-27-17, 12:58 PM
Thanks for your input. Im surprised how complicated landscaping can get. Btw what happens if i just leave the path the way it is?
Will it cause any future problems? For example: during heavy rain, i guess more water will run onto the path but will it cause damage?

Old 07-28-17, 02:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Concrete can erode but it takes a long long time .... assuming the concrete was mixed properly. Water freezing over it might be a bigger concern.

Old 07-28-17, 06:50 AM
No matter what you do, river stone or edging, the sides of the walk are going to erode onto the walk each time it rains because the walk is below grade. Unless you clean it each time, mud will be tracked to wherever the walk terminates. Also, seeing you are in Canada, frost heaves are going to unevenly raise the sidewalk, resulting in uneven sections or cracked sections. I would break out the existing sidewalk and put in a new one whose top is above grade and meets the local building code for sidewalk thickness. I canít believe it is 2 inches.