Shady Areas in Texas Gulf Coast

Old 07-30-17, 10:07 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shady Areas in Texas Gulf Coast

I live just south of Houston. I'm having trouble finding the right grass seed for the shady areas under the trees in my back yard. We bought the house new and the back yard was bare. The yard was originally sodded partly with St. Augustine and seeded with a mixture of what I think was Fescue, and Bluegrass with some Bermuda Grass (it was 15 years ago and I don't recall.) As the trees grew, they shaded out some of the area and the grass died. I have tried all kinds of "dense shade" mixtures and it does fine in the fall and winter and into the spring but once the temperature comes up, it dies (not dormant, dead.) Any suggestions?

Old 07-31-17, 05:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yep, get rid of the shade.

Seriously.

Some grasses grow in less than full sun but it sounds like you have too much shade for any variety; they all need some amount of sunlight.

Old 08-01-17, 01:33 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It get's some sunlight. My problem is that the "dense shade" mixes you find at the box stores is usually Pennington and it's mostly fescue and perineal rye, neither of which do any good once the temperature rises above 80 or so. The last time I tried the Pennington stuff, it came up and looked good then it fell over and started dying - and the leaves hadn't even put out yet! There is supposed to be a variety of St. Augustine that does well in shade but I don't know where to find it. Of course, it's sod. The irony is that we have some ornamental grass in a pot that's in dense shade and its flourishing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: