Irrigation connection question

Old 08-07-17, 03:37 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Irrigation connection question

Hi, I am trying to decide how to run water to my backyard for my irrigation system.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  water main.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  19.7 KB

In the picture above, you see the front corner of the house, where the house mainline both enters the crawlspace to feed the house and where it splits to feed the front yard sprinkler valves. The backyard valves need to go just behind the fence you see on the right. There is currently no external hose bib or anything on that side of the house in the back yard.

I figure I have two options. The simpler option would be to tap into the house mainline in the crawlspace, since it runs close to the side of the house, and send a pipe through the exterior wall where I want to install the backyard valves. However, I've heard that one should avoid tapping into the house mainline for various reasons (noise, wear on the pipe, etc.)

The other option would be to trench along the side where all the mulch is and run PVC under the fence, all the way up the side, under the concrete pad and up to the front yard sprinkler point of connection. Clearly much more work, and I know that area also holds the sewer lateral, and probably gas too (you can see the meter in the picture).

What's the best option?

Last edited by PJmax; 08-07-17 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added 2nd picture
Old 08-07-17, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Can't see where the split to front is but I would guess it is off main line. I would connect under house and run it out where you want it.

Old 08-07-17, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I added an enlarged view of the breakout point.

It would be pretty hard to get an additional line there. Plenty of obstacles in the way.
I wouldn't hesitate to connect to the line in the crawlspace. I'm guessing since you have a water pipe in a crawlspace that freezing pipes is not an issue.

You'll need to install an additional water backflow preventer to serve the rear sprinklers.

Old 08-09-17, 06:07 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Yes, I'm in CA and freezing is not an issue. However, a closer look in the crawlspace reveals that the main line is galvanized pipe. Any way to tap into this successfully?

Old 08-09-17, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Yes and no.

What you'll need to do is cut it and then go back to threaded fittings and piece it back in with a fitting left for the sprinkler. You will also need to install a union so that the pipes can be rejoined.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: