Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drip conversion finishing questions

CAL

08-09-17, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Drip conversion finishing questions

I am going to revisiting my sprinkler conversion from spray to drip, and have a couple more questions... Iíve done a couple sections of the yard already.

About 50% (maybe a little more) of the replacements Iíve done have been areas that had straight pipes out of the ground, and the others were standard pop up sprayers, and some I just capped off.

I used the replacement Orbit 8-Port Adjust Flow Manifold (1/Tag)-68000 - The Home Depot and Orbit 4-Port Manifold with Adjustable Flow-68005 - The Home Depot, and the bubbler thing from home depot that they are telling me are pressure regulated. Pretty sure I saw a little plastic piece in there which I think is what they were talking about..

Iím hoping to start back up with replacing in the next month or 2 and want to bounce a couple questions off you all..

1. If I have a zone with say 4 or 5 sprinklers can I replace the current sprayer with something like this 1800 Spray Head Drip Riser Connection Kit and daisy chain all of them together with one tube and have lines come off to reach all my plants and trees? And is there a cheaper version of this?

2. Not sure how to ask this so Iíll just say Iím concerned for my pipes bursting in the ground after I replace all the Sprayers with Drips like this..

Thanx all

ak

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-09-17, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)  
1. You said you had a zone with 4 or 5 sprinklers but then ask if you can replace the current sprayer??? Is the sprayer related to the 4-5 sprinklers? Are you replacing one sprinkler/emitter or are you replacing all or are you replacing one and capping the others? In the end you have to look at your flow volumes. For example if you had an emitter that consumed 2 gpm you can replace it with drip emitters that consume 2 gpm without much change in your system's operation. If you replace a 2 gpm emitter with a 5 gpm drip manifold you could run into flow problems and dropping pressure.

2. If your system is sized properly your pipes should not see a change in pressure. In the worst case your pipes will see no more pressure than your water supply can provide. In general I would not be worried about pipes underground because of switching to drip irrigation.

CAL

08-10-17, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)  
1. Yes for each zone that has multiple sprinkler heads can I replace all the heads with the one listed in the OP with the thicker tubbing running in between them. Or would it more beneficial to replace 1 or 2 in the zone and cap off the others? How so you find or measure the gpm?

2. OK. Just worried about the first pointÖ

Group Moderator

NC

08-10-17, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)  
It depends on the flow you want and what your system can supply. Obviously the more drip manifolds you have you have the ability to distribute more water. I may come down more to location. If you only have one or two manifolds your small drip tubing may have very long runs which is bad for flow. So, having more manifolds could make your drip lines shorter and more manageable. Remember you don't have to use every port on your manifold.

The big question is to find out how much water your system can supply. A good starting point is to look at your sprinkler emitters and try to figure out what you have and look up how much water they flow.

CAL

10-10-17, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Ah sorry for delay.. Thanx - I think I'm going to be tackling this soon..

Search this Thread