Selective Herbicides

Old 09-16-17, 06:46 AM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Selective Herbicides

I have managed to kill all the crab grass in my lawn by killing it with chemicals selectively, or by just cutting out the lone straggler that pops up. That has allowed my blue grass seed to germinate nicely on those spots, but I have also made room for another wide bladed shallow rooted grass that is very ugly and very prolific. We have always called it "goose grass" but I don't know why. Northwest Ohio Area) I can kill it with round up, but would rather use something selective that won't kill the bluegrass and fescue that it is trying to crowd out (rather successfully) Is there a product available to selectively kill this grass'weed)?

Old 09-18-17, 08:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Grasses are often only killable (did I make up a word?) with a product that takes out the good grass as well. Around here, we pour RoundUp into a cup and use a brush to paint the leaves of the offending grass so that the good stuff does not get harmed.

Old 09-18-17, 09:09 AM
W
Roundup Brush Method

It may come to that. The neighbors already think I lost my mind when I took out the crabgrass one at a time. (hard to re seed with pre emergent herbicide in the ground) I thought I saw an applicator that was a small plastic dome that contained the excess spray from a tank sprayer, but you and I both know that is going to be hard to control. Perhaps a a long tube with a bulb on it that will allow me to just put drops on the center of the plant? (Id rather die on my feet than live on my knees)

Thanks!

Old 09-18-17, 10:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Glyphosate, the main ingredient in Roundup, is absorbed through the leaves. In order to work you need to spray or wet the leaves. Glyphosate binds with clay in the soil almost immediately rendering it useless so pouring or dribbling it in the center of the plant or at the base usually does not work.

Old 09-19-17, 08:20 AM
W
I get it about the leaf absorbson. The quack grass I have has pretty much taken over in certain areas anyway, so I may just take out a few square feet at a time and reseed it so the rest of the lawn at least stays green.

Thanks for the reply

Old 09-19-17, 08:45 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
so pouring or dribbling it in the center of the plant or at the base usually does not work
I use a spray bottle turned down to a narrow stream and hit each spot which kills a 3" dia area which is about the same as the big dog peeing and the surrounding grass eventually fills it back in over a few weeks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: