Moss help.......

Old 09-30-17, 09:22 AM
Moss help.......

I purchased this house a little over a year ago. The yard and trees were not maintained. The front yard is what is I need help with. This April I put down a ton of lime, moss out and fertilizer. In about a week and after a couple rain storms the moss was black. I then used a garden rake and raked the whole front lawn to get rid of the moss. I then spread some new grass seed shade mix. I have 3 oak trees along the road which allows very little sun. This seemed to help but after the summer went along the moss came back and now the lawn is about the same as what it was this April. I mow it around once a month. If anyone could help me out that would be great. Do I need to rototill the whole lawn and rake it off and reseed? Or do I need new top soil? I know I will have to spend time and money but I don't wanna spend a fortune. I don't need it to be pristine. Thanks

Attached Images  

Last edited by diyplank; 09-30-17 at 09:51 AM. Reason: removed photobucket link
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-17, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Photobucket is no longer allowing third party linking. You can see your pictures but all that shows up on the board is a photobucket upgrade picture.

You either need to try a different hosting site or post it directly to the board. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-30-17, 09:42 AM
yea...I just noticed that. My mac isn't working well with this site either. LOL Keeps freezing. Will work on it. Thanks.

Old 09-30-17, 10:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Moss will often grow when nothing else will. I suspect it's more a manner of not enough sunlight than the ground itself.

Old 10-01-17, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Grass needs a lot of of sun. Most varieties need full sun but even the shade varieties need a lot of bright indirect light. You can prune the trees removing the lower branches so more light and air circulation can reach the ground.

Old 10-02-17, 06:10 AM
Ok...problem is the trees are between the sidewalk and the street. So I don't believe those are mine? I will have to call the township to find out. It's just frustrating for me. Neighbors lawns are much nicer. I got a quote with green lawn or some company and it was like $1500 for the year.....No Thanks. HAHA

thanks

Old 10-02-17, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Oaks and grass are a tough combination. You may need to remove one or more trees if having grass is important to you.

Old 10-04-17, 01:26 PM
LOL...yea I can't remove them. I called the township...the trees are the townships and they trim them but they won't cut branches just to provide daylight for grass....I even mentioned the dead branches and he said I could trim them...I said why would I pay someone to do it when you do it for free. If a branch falls on someone it won't be my fault. They are 25ft up. But the dead ones aren't causing the shade anyway. Well...I will keep putting moss out on on it. Maybe once a month and see if that helps. Takes two bags so it isn't horrible. Just annoying...guess I will live with it. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by diyplank; 10-04-17 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling