Shade tree options for N. Texas gumbo soil

Old 10-03-17, 01:33 PM
Shade tree options for N. Texas gumbo soil

I have a big boxwood plant on the side of the house, in between us and our neighbor, and I'm going to remove it and plant shade tree on this west side of house. This will provide the only shade we will get on the house and west facing side. We have a pool in the back (South) side of house, so don't want anything too big, but also don't want any type of tree were the roots grow mainly on the top of ground. This will be about 15' - 20' from the house. Also don't want anything that gets too big.
What are my best options?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-17, 06:13 AM
What is the distance between your property line/fence and the neighbor ? If the tree/shrub is to be 15-20 feet away from the house...and you want afternoon shade...it will have to be pretty tall. Am I reading your question/problem right ?

Do you want only one shade tree ? Do you want to shade some rooms of your house in the P.M.? Do you need to shade also...your BBQ area and hammock ? Need more info and a picture, if possible.

Old 10-17-17, 09:13 AM
No, we have shade around pool area....just need shade on the west side because we don't want to shade pool anymore than it is.
The tree will be 15' from side of house, that's why I would like tree that has taproot like an oak instead of one that has roots at ground level--or just below.

Old 10-17-17, 11:49 AM
Try a hybrid poplar or Ailanthus. Deciduous but they grow fast with food and water. Deep, deep infrequent waterings will promote deep root growth and deter shallow rooting .

Old 10-19-17, 09:51 AM
Poplars should NOT be planted to close to homes or other underground
structures because the root system is shallow. I'm thinking a red oak or bur oak, but I'm
afraid it will get too big. Good thing about oaks is they develop tap root that grows down
to anchor it. Any other suggestions? Maybe a chinese pistache.