New Lawn: Advice on Next Step

Old 10-08-17, 11:05 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Lawn: Advice on Next Step

Hello All,

I will try to explain as succinctly as possible.

I live in Northern Virginia, two weeks ago, aerated a compacted and weed infested front "lawn". Did not chemical kill, three year old son, round up seems evil. Spread 2 inches of topsoil depth, seeded, raked and covered the area with the 50'X4' Straw rolls. I have watered faithfully. Ground is still soft and wet. Attached pic is today.

My mistakes: walked on very wet ground after seeding/watering = footprints and some very uneven spots. Did not roll the ground to even it out. Seeded unevenly.

Straw rolls seem to be a bit too thick in spots, when I examine closely the thin spots I see grass matted beneath the straw rolls.

I was thinking I would:

1. First thing morning. Pick straw rolls straight up off the ground, shake excess loose, and remove netting - gently rake straw and new matted grass etc, loosening and allowing it to seek the sun just befoere morning watering.

Wait few days.

2. Roll the ground a few times to deal with footprints/uneven ground making mowing easier later. This will matte the grass but if done morning the grass will seek sun again?

Any general advice appreciated.

Attached Images  

Last edited by lcjones42; 10-08-17 at 11:07 AM. Reason: And vs a
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-17, 02:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 621 Votes on 574 Posts
1. Don't do anything with the mats. Just leave them in place. When the grass needs mowing just mow it. The straw will decompose over time and the fine plastic mesh isn't strong enough to harm your mower and disappear pretty well.

2. I'm not a fan of rolling. For healthy plants compaction is generally something I try to avoid. I don't think your roller will be heavy enough to cause a problem so try it if you want. I've never bothered though. Over time the lawn the lawn will be compacted just from Mother Nature and the mowings.