looking for cool downspout to rain barrel ideas

Old 10-28-17, 09:03 AM
looking for cool downspout to rain barrel ideas

I have 3" plastic pvc drainage pipe coming off my upper deck running to the side and with a 3" pvc elbow I can point it to a rain barrell 20 feet down. But that is boring....
I see cute little furry animals that are made to put at the end of a gutter down spout and I'm not looking for that.
I would be attaching it to the vinyl on the house along side a downspout going to the rain barrel.
I know I could just run the pipe into the down spout but again...boring.
is there anything else.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-17, 12:30 PM
From the gutter down spout, you could put in a rain chain that empties directly into the rain barrel. There's not much work involved with it other than ensuring the gutter can hold the weight, and pulling the chain up to it.

A gutter garden would be nifty, you can do the same rain chain idea but have it drop into a tilted gutter holding soil and plants going down the side of the house. Each tilted gutter would empty into another tilted gutter, and so on all the way down and then empty the run off in the barrel. I don't think bugs would be much of a problem, but ensure the tilted gutters are completely sealed so you never have to deal with them again.

Make a mosaic tile on the side of the house, and pour the gutter water onto that (instead of away). At the bottom, the water will collect into a gutter filled with stones and empties into the barrel. The problem with this idea is the splash on the tile, but that will depend on how the water empties onto the tile (straight down along the tile, or splashing onto the tile). It's also not a common thing because of the alteration needed on the siding, but you could make it as some kind of mantle like a fireplace that will make it stand out for sure. For a dash of effect, make it a sports team theme and have it face your neighbors home if they root for another team (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/173599760606167820/)

Old 10-29-17, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. I live in the northeast, we get pretty nasty weather here at times,
so a rain chain would be an item I need to remove yearly,and too noisy when it moved around I think. A garden of any kind isn't a good idea I'm looking for little to no maintenance, and I have vinyl siding so a tile idea is out.
I'll post a picture of the area in question. Can't hurt.

Old 10-30-17, 06:30 AM
There are different types of rain chains. from the basic chain link to small buckets going all the way to the ground (or if you're at a frat house, Solo cups?). They're secured at the top and bottom a certain way so they don't move around. There's plastic ones that do the same function, but are 1/4th the amount of weight as a regular steel chain. You wouldn't need to move these once in place. This would take about 1 hour.

For the mosaic tile, it'd require cutting through the vinyl, putting in a few 2x4's, sealing it all up, then putting in the [sealed] tile. Not as hard as it sounds, you'd have to make sure you aren't cutting through wires and not veering off the cut. Definitely a weekend project.