Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New Marathon Sod Installed

CAL

11-15-17, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)  
New Marathon Sod Installed

My son, looking to save me money, had a new Marathon Sod Lawn installed after the old lawn was removed and new top soil was installed. I returned home the day after the job was done.
Question one. We live in West Los Angeles. The installer told son to water ONCE EVERY OTHER DAY FOR 5 Minutes EACH SPRINKLER ZONE, THEN REDUCE-IT TO TWICE A WEEK FOR TWO WEEKS BEFORE returning to out 20 minute twice a week schedule. The Marathon Site says 3 times a day first week, etc.

Question two. The sod pieces are mostly butted together with no space between, but every eight pieces or so, there is a space of about one inch at the sod ends. The installers told him the space will disappear as the sod settles and the grass grows.

All sound good or what doesn't and why.

Many thanks for all input!

JoeBronx

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

11-15-17, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)  
The installers told him the space will disappear as the sod settles and the grass grows
Yep. Should only take a couple years.

You need to water the sod well enough that it grows roots into the soil. 2 1/2 minutes a day does not seem to be enough for that.

CAL

11-15-17, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Thanks

Thank you Stickshift,

So what watering schedule and frequency do you recommend? And what about the odd spaces between the sod pieces?

Thanks again!

OR

11-15-17, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)  
You should lift up one end of the sod in a few places and see if the soil is wet underneath .....about an inch or so. Look to see if new roots are sprouting. Water accordingly per weather conditions.

Have not heard about leaving an inch gap between. Does not seem right. Ask to talk to the installer's supervisor and let us know.

MI

11-15-17, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Gaps in sod will grow together in a few months, absolutely nothing to get worked up over.

You need more water for the first month, depending on temps just make sure the sod is wet to the roots.

First month is critical, after it starts to root you can back off water.

Group Moderator

NC

11-15-17, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)  
My sod was installed in late spring when our daytime temps were solidly in the 80's. I watered twice a day for the first week then the second week went to once a week. After that I kept an eye on the grass for signs of stress as I backed off the waterings even more. My sod the farm really emphasized how important it was to keep the grass watered initially. You may have more leeway by installing going into winter but I would keep an eye out for signs that the grass is stressing or drying out.

The gap between pieces of sod sounds like a mistake or sloppy work. I don't think it really hurts though. The grass will just grow and fill in the gap.

CAL

11-15-17, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Thanks a lot YaddaYadda (any relation to my 3rd wife, talksAlotta?) and Marq1! Your accumulated wisdom is remarkable and I'm very
grateful!

Many Thanks to all!

CAL

11-15-17, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Ooops, forgot a Thank You to Pilot Dane as well! Your input much appreciated! The handle relate to Flying Pilot or to Pilot Whale...a family I was privialaged to know back it he Bronx.

Whichever, thanks much...

Joe Bronx

Search this Thread