Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rockery Drainage Help

WA

12-07-17, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Rockery Drainage Help

Hello, I'm having an odd issue with a rockery at my house and wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to address. So, for the last year or two, silt, sand, and some fine gravel has been draining out of a crack at the bottom of the rockery when it rains (this is in Seattle, so...) and I'm getting worried that a little sink hole is going to form behind it. Now, there is a two-inch corrugated downspout drain that runs through this wall and outlets near where it's losing soil, but that line has been there for 20 - 30 years I'm guessing (full disclosure: i haven't poured water down the line during dry times to see what happens...that's coming up this weekend). Directly behind the wall is an about 2-foot wide strip of soil between the sidewalk and the rockery that also has a small tree planted in it. The strip is cut off by the sidewalk one one end and the landing to the house on the other so it'a bout 20 square feet in area. On the other side of the strip is the sidewalk and then the front yard, which has rockeries on three sides (and the house on the other). The other rockeries seem to be fine.

Anyway, any ideas on how to evaluate the source of the soil loss and/or how to prevent it (if it's not the downspout drain leaking) or repair the downspout drain (it's underground [obviously] and likely has a few elbows in it) would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

12-07-17, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Maybe others know but I could use some pictures as I have no idea what a rockery is.

GA

01-18-18, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)  
@stickshift
A rockery is kind of like a landscaped waterfall/pond area. Just imagine a small pond you can make that has stones around it with a waterfall pump or statue spouting water. If not a water pump, it can be natural water run off from gutters.

@stencil
If you can post a photo of all the items you described above, that'd help a lot as landscape issues like this are easier to solve if you can see the set up. By what you mentioned, it could be: clogged pipe, hole in fabric under the rockery (if fabric is even used), tree root penetration through fabric, or a water overflow somewhere. You might need to get your hands dirty to fix this, especially if it's been in place for that long.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

02-13-18, 04:52 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Rockery drainage only helps to avoid soil erosion or it will be effective for collecting enough water for irrigation, I mean somebody who has experienced it very well should post all it's essentials here.

Search this Thread