Sod Cutting (Zoysia)

Old 04-05-18, 09:21 AM
Sod Cutting (Zoysia)

I plan on laying Zoysia sod later this spring, and to save on costs I was thinking of cutting the strips in half to get more coverage in certain areas that aren't as visible from the street (e.g. side of home). Will a regular sod cutting knife do the trick, or would I need some sort of machine since it is turfgrass and is more dense?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-18, 11:16 AM
I was thinking of cutting the strips in half to get more coverage

Hmmm, how does cutting sod in half increase coverage? A yard is a yard no matter how many pieces it's cut!

Old 04-05-18, 11:23 AM
Hmmm, how does cutting sod in half increase coverage? A yard is a yard no matter how many pieces it's cut!
I would leave 6" gaps in between the strips to get twice the coverage. Zoysia spreads via rhizomes and stolons, so it will fill in by next season. Maybe a checker pattern. I've done this before with 6" x 6" squares/plugs and it was nicely filled by the next season.

Old 04-05-18, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
If you want to cut sod you can use anything that will cut sod. It's just a strip of grass. I use old kitchen knifes. The soil dulls the knife so you may have to give it periodic sharpenings. It's not easy cutting though so I think you'll find cutting any amount of sod to be more trouble than it's worth.

I also think you're going to have a major mess. You'll have to carefully get soil in between your sod strips so you don't have low spots in the yard. Then sod needs frequent watering when new so that dirt will be wet and maybe muddy. Then you'll have to mow with the strips of mud between your grass strips because it will take a couple months to fill in. I'd either sod a smaller area or spend the money and get an extra pallet of sod.

Old 04-05-18, 12:44 PM
Yeah, you're right. I guess I'll just spend the extra $500 and get another pallet.

Old 04-05-18, 01:48 PM
I bought Zoysia Grass about 40 years ago, and it was shipped to me "cubed" into little 1" X 1" pre-cut squares just barely held together by their roots and it was intended that we would distribute these as Plugs . . . . they even supplied a little hole cutter (kind'a like a Tulip Bulb Planter) that would cut a circular hole into which the Zoysia Grass Plug would be planted; and then upon being tended, the Zoysia Grass would spread out.

So I would imagine that the OP's plan of action would work.

I always found Zoysia Grass to be akin to Crabgrass . . . . but that was just my opinion.

Old 04-05-18, 04:41 PM
A hatchet actually is a great tool for cutting sod!

Old 04-16-18, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have the time or patience to plant a million plugs, so I'm going to cover the entire lawn with continuous sod. For some reason, it is sold in 16" x 24" pieces. Seems odd to me. Lady said that's how the machine cuts it so that's how they sell it.

I always found Zoysia Grass to be akin to Crabgrass . . . . but that was just my opinion.
You must have had Meyer Zoysia, which is a finer texture and needs to be mowed very short. Zenith Zoysia has a thicker blade and is very dense. Can be mowed as short as 1", but still does great at 2-1/2" to 3". Great turfgrass in my opinion. Actually, it's a fact