name brand vs generic fertilizer / weed n feed

Old 04-05-18, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
name brand vs generic fertilizer / weed n feed

Thought this might be a sticky FAQ, but it's not.
Given that the chemicals & fertilizer amounts are the same is there any difference between a name brand (e.g. Scotts) weed 'n feed or fertilizer and a lesser known/house/generic brand that costs as much as $10-$15 (for 15K sq ft coverage) less than a name brand? I tend to think there isn't but thought I'd ask.

2. are the settings on the package generally accurate? I set it to the recommended opening and wind up getting ~20% less coverage than what's stated.

Old 04-05-18, 01:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
I don't know it for a fact but I always thought that if the numbers are the same - the fertilizer is the same. I suppose the name brand fertilizers might have better quality control.

Old 04-05-18, 01:57 PM
Received 625 Likes on 555 Posts
As I'm told by the Scott's people and how we should sell the Scott's product when asked this same question. The mixture of chemicals in Scott's is homogeneous within each granular unit. As opposed to perhaps the Gro-Green brand that the granules of each chemical are separate grains and are just mixed in the bag. This can then cause any specific chemical to be unevenly distributed thorough out the lawn.

Old 04-05-18, 05:50 PM
Received 997 Likes on 906 Posts
And you would expect Scott's to state anything different.

Fertilizer is fertilizer as long as the ratios are the same, your grass wont know or care!!

Old 04-05-18, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,180 Likes on 2,855 Posts
Can't comment on the quality of the product but I never seem to get the listed coverage either. It has to be inaccuracies in the spreader.

Old 04-06-18, 06:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
I have used Scotts products in the past and they do work. They are also very expensive. There is nothing special about their chemicals. It's all regulated so any chemical Scotts sells for lawn use is available under numerous other brand names and packaging.

If you lawn is small go ahead and get Scotts. It's easy and you don't have to think too much. That's one of the cornerstones of their marketing. If you have a larger lawn and/or want to save some money then don't hesitate to try other brands. You may also find a benefit in going away from all in one packaging as the optimal time for fertilizing can be different than the best time for herbicides.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: