Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Zone 11 not working, but pump running

04-15-18, 04:43 PM   #1  
Zone 11 not working, but pump running

Hello - I have a single sprinkler zone that is not working and am seeking advice before I dig into troubleshooting. I'll try to lay out everything that I know.

- The other 12 zones work fine
- Valve types unknown; in fact, I only know where a couple control boxes are
- When zone 11 (inop) triggers, the pump runs, but it sounds like it is trying to prime (if that makes sense)
- Switching to any other zone, pump sounds normal

I know, assumptions make.... however, I'm sort of assuming, because of pump sound, that water is just flowing through as fast as the pump can handle, when the bad zone is enabled. I can't find clear evidence of a leak, and I don't understand why the pump would sound odd on that zone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Neil

Sponsored Links

04-15-18, 05:15 PM   #2  
I'm guessing this is for a sprinkler system? In my experience whenever I had a leak it was pretty obvious.
I would try to pull up the sprinkler head while you have that zone on.

Group Moderator

NJ

04-15-18, 05:39 PM   #3  
Welcome to the forums.

When zone 11 (inop) triggers, the pump runs, but it sounds like it is trying to prime (if that makes sense)
If the pump is running and the valve is not opening.... the pump output is being blocked off. Don't allow it to run like that for too long.

You're going to need to locate valve #11 to check it. You may have to open each valve manually until you find the right one. A multiconductor cable may have been used and you could try following the #11 zone color. Check the wiring at the controller to see if each zone is a different color.

~ Pete ~

04-16-18, 07:07 AM   #4  
Thanks Pete - I'll see if I can find the control box after the storms pass.

Since the pump is not directly controlled by the sprinkler system (sorry if I sound ignorant), it should only engage if the zone demands water, right? That is what confuses me about the pump engaging at all. Then, the strange sound (almost like trying to prime) just adds to my confusion.

Neil

Group Moderator

NJ

04-16-18, 05:54 PM   #5  
If that's a dedicated sprinkler system pump..... then the sprinkler controller tells it when to start.

~ Pete ~

04-16-18, 07:59 PM   #6  
It's just a well pump that turns on when it needs to meet demand, whether a faucet or sprinkler zone, I think. With the exception of power, no wires run to the pump itself. Still, I'm not arguing your point; I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the pump running with no demand.

Search this Thread