Zone 11 not working, but pump running

Old 04-15-18, 04:43 PM
Zone 11 not working, but pump running

Hello - I have a single sprinkler zone that is not working and am seeking advice before I dig into troubleshooting. I'll try to lay out everything that I know.

- The other 12 zones work fine
- Valve types unknown; in fact, I only know where a couple control boxes are
- When zone 11 (inop) triggers, the pump runs, but it sounds like it is trying to prime (if that makes sense)
- Switching to any other zone, pump sounds normal

I know, assumptions make.... however, I'm sort of assuming, because of pump sound, that water is just flowing through as fast as the pump can handle, when the bad zone is enabled. I can't find clear evidence of a leak, and I don't understand why the pump would sound odd on that zone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Neil

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-18, 05:15 PM
I'm guessing this is for a sprinkler system? In my experience whenever I had a leak it was pretty obvious.
I would try to pull up the sprinkler head while you have that zone on.

Old 04-15-18, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

When zone 11 (inop) triggers, the pump runs, but it sounds like it is trying to prime (if that makes sense)
If the pump is running and the valve is not opening.... the pump output is being blocked off. Don't allow it to run like that for too long.

You're going to need to locate valve #11 to check it. You may have to open each valve manually until you find the right one. A multiconductor cable may have been used and you could try following the #11 zone color. Check the wiring at the controller to see if each zone is a different color.

Old 04-16-18, 07:07 AM
Thanks Pete - I'll see if I can find the control box after the storms pass.

Since the pump is not directly controlled by the sprinkler system (sorry if I sound ignorant), it should only engage if the zone demands water, right? That is what confuses me about the pump engaging at all. Then, the strange sound (almost like trying to prime) just adds to my confusion.

Neil

Old 04-16-18, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
If that's a dedicated sprinkler system pump..... then the sprinkler controller tells it when to start.

Old 04-16-18, 07:59 PM
It's just a well pump that turns on when it needs to meet demand, whether a faucet or sprinkler zone, I think. With the exception of power, no wires run to the pump itself. Still, I'm not arguing your point; I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the pump running with no demand.

Old 05-10-18, 03:52 PM
Hadthis before....

...this has happened to me in the past. First go to the controller box and locate the terminal wires. Most are usually numbered to go to the solenoid. In your case, look for terminal 11 and note the color.
Now go to the lawn box and find the wire in the box that matches the color at the terminal and follow it to the valve. What has probably happened is that the solenoid valve has failed and is not opening the valve.
I tested mine by swapping the solenoid with another from a working valve. Just remember to mark the original #11 solenoid. Now test the two zones. If zone #11 works and the other one now doesn't then the solenoid valve is bad.
Then just take it to a landscape \irrigation supply store and get a new one.That's the easy part.
Hard part was digging up the valve , disconnecting the lines and then reconnecting. With mine the box was between shrubs which really made for a fun afternoon.
Like I said this was I had with the same symptoms as yours.

Old 05-11-18, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
The problem here is that the pump only comes on when water is needed. We've ascertained that the sprinkler control doesn't turn the pump on.

Therefore if activating zone 11 causes the pump to start.... there is a large underground leak after the zone valve.