Roundup / weed killers. Does this make sense?

Old 04-18-18, 08:41 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roundup / weed killers. Does this make sense?

I was going to get some roundup to kill oniongrass in wooded areas, corners of flowerbeds (not near anything growing), etc.

They have 2 different Roundups. The 'usual' one - white label,and a Roundup 365 with black label.

Looking at the labels, the 'regular' one has 2% of glyphosate and the 365 has (only) 1% of glyphosate.

I would have thought (but I guess they know better) the longer lasting one would have the same or MORE of stuff / stronger. But it has less of what I think is the key ingredient?

Old 04-18-18, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Not what you asked but, I used to use Roundup until they discovered how toxic it is, not only to animals, but people too, no matter what the manufacturer says. Not worth it in my book. I'm trying to decide what else I can use that's at least somewhat safer. Hopefully some one will chime in.

Old 04-18-18, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Probably because Roundup 365 has other herbicides besides Glyphosate.

1% Glyphosate, .08% Imazapic, .04% Diquat

Old 04-18-18, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
And legally, they don't even have to let us know all the ingredients in there! I'd rather have weeds.

Old 04-18-18, 09:13 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
well, I'll pile on. : )

They have roundup resistant crops these days! Not sure how widespread they are out there. But yeah, the farmer sprays the whole field with roundup and it doesn't hurt the crops.

I forgot the pictures. Yeah, other things are in there.

Name:  kill1.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  kill2.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  58.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-23-19 at 12:45 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 04-18-18, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
No, it doesn't hurt the crops. It hurts people when they eat the crops.

Old 04-18-18, 09:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
The usual ingredient in Roundup and many other herbicides is glyphosate. It is mostly absorbed through the green parts of a growing plant like leaves and eventually kills the plant roots and all. Glyphosate quickly binds to clays in the soil. In the soil the chemical is technically still active but since it can't contact the green growing parts of plants it stops killing and because it's bonded to the clay in soil it doesn't move much when it rains and is considered mostly safe in that it doesn't readily get into waterways. It works by inhibiting enzymes only found in plants which make it mostly safe for animals. Manufacturers of the herbicide play a big role in it's safe classification by funding research that supports their safe claim. I'm not saying it's dangerous but a lot of money is spent by corporations who want it to be considered safe while comparatively little funding is available to determine if it's hazardous. Many agricultural chemicals that were once considered safe are now banned because their hazards eventually came to light.

Many of the chemicals used in long term herbicides and ground sterilizers do NOT bind with anything in the soil. They just lie there and continue killing almost anything that tries to grow. The problem is when it rains hard and water runs off. The chemical readily washes away and moves with water. So, if you spray your gravel driveway and a heavy rain causes water to runoff it can leave a dead streaks wherever the water goes.

And as a side note the diquat is there because people are impatient. They like to see weeds die quickly after they spray them. So, diquat is added to make the weeds look dead. It quickly "burns down" the vegetation which is a double edged sword. On the plus side the weeds look dead. On the bad side it can act too quickly to get in and kill the roots. The weeds can grow back. They put just enough in to make the consumer think the product is working but not so much that it kills the top growth before the glyphosate is absorbed into the plant and taken down to the roots where the real work is done.

Old 04-18-18, 01:05 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
They have roundup resistant crops these days! Not sure how widespread they are out there. But yeah, the farmer sprays the whole field with roundup and it doesn't hurt the crops.
Yep. Concerning stuff huh? Google "Monsanto".

Old 04-18-18, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
And all those jets you see in the sky that are leaving contrails... they are actually spraying us with their mind control agents making us all paranoid. lol

Old 04-19-18, 07:37 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Glyphosate has been studied and tested for decades, including by dozens of independent researchers all over the world, and only the IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) ruled it "probably" causes cancer. They didn't do any research or tests of their own. Their parent organization the WHO (World Health Organization) subsequently ruled Glyphosate "unlikely" to pose a cancer risk to humans.
The IARC has assessed nearly 1000 substances over the years but found only one to be non-toxic. It's not hard to assume they have an agenda.

This from a guy who reads labels, buys non-GMO when available, despises Monsanto's business practices, and has never used Roundup.

BTW the EPA toxicity of caffeine is 10X higher than Glyphosate. Fun Fact of the day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: