Round Up Application (1,000 sq ft)

Old 05-01-18, 02:49 PM
M
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Round Up Application (1,000 sq ft)

I need to kill off about 1,000 sq ft of grass, which is somewhat sparse, to prepare the yard for my Zoysia sod, which will be laid in a few weeks. What is the fastest and easiest way to apply Round Up to a large area? One of those large 1 or 2 gallon sprayers? I happen to have one actually. The landscaping company said to apply two applications of Round Up within two weeks prior to them laying the sod.

Old 05-01-18, 04:20 PM
Received 625 Likes on 555 Posts
Seems to me to be the easiest way to do it. Why spend more money on anything more expensive only to use it one time?

Old 05-01-18, 05:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
If doing a large area where it will be difficult to tell where you've already been I like to spray early in the morning when the wind is calm and the relative humidity is still high. You want the dew to have just dried. Get the timing right and the spray won't evaporate between passes so you can see where you've been.

Old 05-02-18, 12:34 PM
M
If doing a large area where it will be difficult to tell where you've already been I like to spray early in the morning when the wind is calm and the relative humidity is still high. You want the dew to have just dried. Get the timing right and the spray won't evaporate between passes so you can see where you've been.
Great tip. Thanks!..........

Old 05-02-18, 12:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,179 Likes on 1,137 Posts
The landscaping company said to apply two applications of Round Up within two weeks prior to them laying the sod.
The idea is you spray once, wait two weeks and then spray anything still alive a second time. Hence, I would start more like three weeks in advance of the sod being installed to give the second application time to work.

Old 05-02-18, 01:54 PM
Received 283 Likes on 242 Posts
Make sure the area gets prepared correctly before laying the sod. It should probably be rototilled and raked to make a receptive surface for the sod to root. Turning the old dead stuff under is OK as it will rot and provide some nutrient.

Old 05-02-18, 05:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,179 Likes on 1,137 Posts
Good point - proper prep for sod is just as much as for seed.

Old 05-03-18, 07:57 AM
M
Make sure the area gets prepared correctly before laying the sod. It should probably be rototilled and raked to make a receptive surface for the sod to root. Turning the old dead stuff under is OK as it will rot and provide some nutrient.
I asked the landscape company the same thing, and it doesn't sound like they plan on rototilling. They asked me to kill off the grass and then they'll be laying an inch or two of topsoil/compost on top, followed by the sod, then rolling it. I'm assuming they should roll/compact the topsoil first so it isn't a mushy mess. Zoysia is pretty resilient, so I'm not really concerned with it taking hold. I want to be sure everything is graded properly and the soil it prepared properly prior to laying the sod.

Old 05-03-18, 09:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Zoysa is a bit rare in your area so if you ever apply lawn herbicides make sure you read the label as some products for controlling weeds in lawns will kill zoysa. Since zoysa isn't common in the mid states that much of what is sold in home centers might not be right for your lawn.

Old 05-03-18, 12:10 PM
M
Zoysa is a bit rare in your area so if you ever apply lawn herbicides make sure you read the label as some products for controlling weeds in lawns will kill zoysa. Since zoysa isn't common in the mid states that much of what is sold in home centers might not be right for your lawn.
My lawn was Zoysia before it was destroyed by the builder doing my garage addition, and it thrives in my soil, so no worries there. I've never had to apply herbicides, which is why I love this type of grass so much.

Last edited by mossman; 05-03-18 at 12:26 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: