Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Need advice/plan of action for killing of poa trivalis

Old 05-03-18, 01:58 PM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

I have a confirmed case of poa triv (lab analysis confirmed it).

There's about 1,000 sq ft in one big area in my front, and a few smaller spots here and there, and maybe about 2,000 sq ft all along my back yard against the woods (and a few spots here and there).

I know that I need to apply glyphosate, but I can't decide if I should hit it now (and again every few weeks/months) before reseeding in the fall, or just wait until the end of summer and then do it.

I don't want my front lawn in particular to be dead all summer, but if it's vastly better to hit it now, I may do so.

I've also been told that I should perhaps do it now vs. later, as the poa triv might go dormant in the hot summer, and may not get killed off if I spray it in the summer (though perhaps by late summer it's ok?).

The back yard I don't mind a much hitting it now, and I supposed I could hit the random spots in the front so they don't get worse, but I really would prefer to wait on the big spot in the front.

Thank you for any thoughts/a plan of action!

Old 05-03-18, 03:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Glyphosphate works on active, growing plants so applying while something is dormant is pointless. Also, it does not kill everything on the first try so the general plan with it is to spray, wait two weeks and then spray anything still alive a second time. Hence, the whole process takes a while.

Old 05-03-18, 03:56 PM
N
Any thoughts on when, here in the Northeast (Southwest CT) it might be ok to do this process in the fall? Can I wait out the summer (when it goes dormant) as it should start growing again in mid-August (or maybe still to hot)? That might give me just enough time to hit it a couple of times, and the reseed in mid-September?

Or do I really need to hit it in June/early July, as mid-July/August will simply be too hot, and not give me enough time to start the process in mid-August?

Thank you again!

Old 05-03-18, 03:58 PM
S
Group Moderator
I wouldn't wait if it's something which goes dormant (I have no experience with this actual weed) as there is barely enough time to plant grass after things start growing again and I would hate to wait several weeks for something to die before I planted new grass.

Additionally, do you know from where this is coming? I have creeping charlie and it comes from a neighbor who won't treat their lawn so I know the battle will be ongoing.

Old 05-03-18, 03:59 PM
N
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure where it came from I'm guessing some bag of seed that I bought before I knew to be extra careful about 'weed seed' etc... I never knew to read the label. Now I know...

Old 05-04-18, 04:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I could have come from anywhere but I doubt it was in the seed you brought. It's more likely that it blew in with the wind or bird droppings. Mother Nature is very good at spreading her seeds around.

Old 05-04-18, 04:51 AM
N
Darn that mother nature...

In any case, I'm also realizing that I put down my pre-emergent (prodiamine) on 4/9, so I can't reseed for several months. I will also put down an all-in-one fert/weed killer/pre-emergent in another 2 weeks, though I think the prodiamine might outlast that in the soil anyway.

That being said (since I can't reseed for quite some time), what would you do if you were me?

Old 05-04-18, 09:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Even if you start killing the invader now, it's not going to decay to dirt by this fall so you aren't really creating a huge opening for something else to take over so I would start trying to kill it now just in case in turns out to be more difficult than anticipated so you're ready to seed late summer to early fall when cool season grasses work best anyway.

Old 05-04-18, 09:13 AM
N
Yeah, I know that's why I should do, just weighing it against having an awful looking front yard all summer (then again, the bright green is driving me crazy anyway...).

Separately, for whatever it's worth, I hit a few patches with Tenacity and they are starting to turn a bit white (I know that poa triv won't die from tenacity, but maybe hitting it will hurt/stop it, so I don't have to totally kill it yet?). Or is that useless and I really just need to suck it up and round it up...?

Old 05-05-18, 07:27 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Spray/kill it off now, wait three/four weeks for it to be brown as dirt, then strike a match to it and let it burn off, to kill any remaining seeds. After burning, rake area, reseed with preferred grass seed and put a straw covering over the seeded area. Then baby the seeds with regular watering and starter fertilizer. Yes, the summer heat may kill the new seedlings, but if the summer heat holds off or is mild, they may make it through summer, and only need an overseeding this fall. Just my 2 cents.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: