Berkley centrifugal pump

Old 05-08-18, 05:59 PM
Berkley centrifugal pump

Hello,

First summer at our house which draws water from the lake for the lawn irrigation system. Hooked up the Berkley 15LTHH pump. Got it to run but no water. Two questions.

1. We have a rather long intake pipe that drops down about 5 feet into the lake and then out about 20 feet from shore. Does this intake pipe need to be primed

2. I was able to get the pump to turn on by turning on a sprinkler zone manually from the controller. The pump itself also has a spigot where you can attach a garden hose and also use the lake water. How would I get the pump to turn on so I could use the spigot without running a sprinkler zone? Do you think the spigot would be assigned a zone number?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-18, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
It shows as a self priming pump. If there is any leak between the pump and the water..... it can take forever to prime and may not even prime at all.

Pentair/berkeley pumps/resources.pdf

I doubt the spigot is assigned a zone number. You wouldn't want the pump coming on when nothing was using the water.

Is your zone controller near the pump ?
You could probably add a manual turn on switch.
There should be some type of relay box there now.

Pictures of those items can help us.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 05-09-18, 07:25 AM
Photos of the pump, relay and intake pipe attached. The controller for the irrigation is not near the pump.

1. Do I need to prime the intake pipe and does it matter that itís not fully extended straight for intake?

2. Is there any way to use the spigot on the pump without running a sprinkler zone?

3. Does it matter if the white and black connection wires are reversed?

Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  p2.jpg
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  5E2B8E09-FE90-4DFD-A841-E5B6A1561FCF.jpg
Size:  43.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-09-18 at 07:12 PM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Old 05-09-18, 07:48 AM
Group Moderator
A self priming pump can take a long time to prime. As pumps age and wear out it can take even longer to prime. Often a foot valve (check valve) is put at the end of the intake so the pump remains primed when it is shut off.

You electrical diagram photo is too small to read. Do you have a pressure switch on this water system?

If there is no pressure switch it is not a great idea to run the pump without a irrigation zone operating. It can be done but if not operated properly you risk damaging the pump or your piping. Irrigation pump systems are designed so the pump only runs when a irrigation zone is on. This provides somewhere for the water to go. If you turn on the pump without an irrigation system on then air trapped in the piping might not escape which could make priming difficult or impossible. Also, if the pump is turned on without anywhere for the water to go the pressure will continue to rise until it reaches the maximum the pump can deliver which can burst pipes or cause other damage. And lastly, if the pump is turned on and water is not flowing the water in the pump housing will rapidly heat due to friction to the point it will boil off the water which is very bad for the pump seals and bearings.

Old 05-09-18, 08:41 AM
Is this photo better? No idea about a pressure switch.

I manually filled the intake pipe and the pump with water with the garage hose. Iíve opened the blue spigot to allow air and water to escape.

Pump runs but still no water.

Does it matter if the white and black wire are reversed? Could this cause the pump to force water into the lake instead of out of the lake?

If not, how long do I let it run before risking pump failure?

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-18, 08:47 AM
Here is another that might be better

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-18, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Do you have a foot valve at the lake end of your intake hose? If not then any water you poured into the intake hose just ran out the other end. If you do have a foot valve then filling the intake hose should help the pump prime faster.

Since there are only two wires (according to your diagram) going to the motor switching the hot (black) and neutral (white) shouldn't make any difference in it's rotation direction.

You can also try removing a fitting on top of the pump housing and pour water directly into the housing. It will only take a few quarts/liters as any extra will just run out but getting water inside the pump housing can help it prime. The water will also cool and lubricate the shaft seals and help prevent seal damage until the pump primes.

Old 05-09-18, 10:28 AM
Thanks. Ya, I guess filing the intake pipe with water was a dumb move. Duh!

Anyway, got it working. Filled the pump with water. Pump manual says to run it for 10 minuets, then fill again. After about 12 mins, it finally started to pull from the lake. And I also straightened the intake the full length.

Thanks for all your help

Old 05-09-18, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
If it continues to be slow priming I would get a foot valve and put on the end of your intake.

Old 05-09-18, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
I "helped" your pictures and that diagram.
You could put a switch near that pump controller but as Dane mentioned.... a pressure switch would need to be installed too. It could be set up so that the manual switch and the pressure switch work together.

In looking at your picture of that "snake in the lake"..... that pipe looks to be way too small. That should be closer to the size of the discharge line of the pump.