Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Questions about existing sprinkler system: change misters to rotary?

Old 05-17-18, 11:21 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have an inground sprinker system.

Along our 100' long driveway, on 1 side, there's a strip of grass about 10' wide on my property and another 15 on my neighbors property (so a 25' width piece of grass, 100' long.

The guy that installed our system feeds 11 rainbird 1800 mister heads along the driveway. Our water pressure is about 125PSI.

This is the far side of the property compared to where the water lines / sprinkler valves are. So I don't envision running another water line.

Some people including the current sprinkler system people say that 11 of the misters are too many for that, plus the water line feeding it is about 125' long to the first head. Sometimes the misters don't go all the way up (4"? 6"). If grass grows over. Also as a mister, they are barely clearing the hight of the grass.

I've played with different mister heads (the RVAN heads are cute : ) but seem to get blocked by grass outside the nozzle. The current sprinkler people talked of switching to rotary heads - maybe 5 of the rainbird 5000 (the ones we have elsewhere on the lawn). I know the other zones have 5 of the 5000s and work OK.

Is there any way to run 5 or so of the misters seperate from the other 6 misters WITHOUT running another line from the valves / adding a zone?

The rotaries would water the neighbor's grass - he doesn't care. Just water costs for me, Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-18, 12:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 604 Votes on 557 Posts
Risers not going fully to the top is a sign that your supply cannot deliver enough volume and pressure with volume being the important part. Worse is that often risers don't seal properly until they get all the way to the top so they are likely leaking while in the half up position making it even harder for them all to fully rise and seal.

One trick is to turn your system on. Then go out and manually lift any pop-ups that don't go all the way up. If the system works after you manually extend all the risers then your water supply is close to working. If the zone works with all the pop-up fully in the up position one option is to replace several or all the pop-ups with fixed risers since the rising action and it's high water demand is the problem. Another option is to replace the emitters with lower flowing ones (less gph).

If you have only one zone and water line leading to the problem area you can block some off or cap some of the sprinklers thus making that zone smaller. This means you will be watering a smaller area. You can install a manual valve out at the problem zone to split that problem zone into two zones but you'll have to manually switch between the two sub-zones. Or, you can bury another water line out to the problem area and have two, separately controlled zones.

Old 05-17-18, 12:41 PM
B
Yes, the system 'works' when they are all up. It's just that they don't always get all the way up, etc all the points you mention : )

Capping some would keep me from watering completely, right? I don't want that.

The low flow but still get the reach for 10' - do you have favorites / recommended ones? Fixed ones won't work - right on the edge of the driveway. They'd get cracked by cars or lawnmowers.

And runnning another line - not going to happen : (

Old 05-17-18, 06:07 PM
P
Group Moderator
You have only mentioned a water pressure. I assume that is a static pressure somewhere far away from your sprinklers so it's a pretty useless number. What flow volume and pressure do you have to the zone? With that information you can figure out how much flow per emitter/nozzle you can support.

As far as rotary nozzles getting blocked with grass almost any emitter can be blocked by grass. High flow ones are more tolerant because the larger volume, heavier stream of water can blast through but almost any lower flowing nozzle isn't going to like having to shoot through grass. In my irrigated area though the Rainbird rotaries have not had any trouble with 4" pop-ups. You can try keeping your grass mowed so it is not taller than your sprinklers.

Have you tried spray nozzles? 10' is a pretty easy range.

In the end it sounds like your system is not properly designed and not able to properly feed 11 sprinklers. You may have to start thinking of some compromises to get it to work within the limits of your water supply and piping. I can only dream of 11 on one zone. Six is pushing it for me and five per zone is a more reliable number for my water supply.

Old 05-18-18, 10:41 AM
B
Pilot... sorry if I wasn't clear. I called the heads on the 1800's along the driveway as misters. Yes, they are spray heads. Originally blue 1/2 circle

store.rainbird.com/10h-10-ft-half-circle-pattern-nozzle-180-degree.html

And there's 10 of them, not 11.

I've played with U-10H, RVAN10 (these are cute : ) , and 10VAN.

But they just barely get abouve the grass - guess i have to go to 6" bases?

Here's a picture of some of the heads / driveway.

Attached Images  
Old 05-18-18, 11:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Is a booster pump an option? You could have a electric pump turn on when the irrigation system is active to boost pressure and flow. It could be located at the house and help get the water the long way out to that problem zone.