overgrown lawn question

Old 05-28-18, 11:42 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overgrown lawn question

Neighbor cross the street has let his yard go... it hasnt been mowed since last October. Its approaching the 3'+ range.

I dont think the guy is going to have much luck with a push mower.... he also has a standard mulching lawn tractor.

Do you think a standard lawn tractor can handle that height?
Once its knocked down, will that grass grow properly again?

btw: Im not complaining, i find it funny and I hope it keeps growing taller and taller!!!.... it will also be a hoot to see him struggle with it when the city starts complaining.

Old 05-28-18, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 322 Likes on 256 Posts
I would think he'd need a weed whacker at this point.

Old 05-28-18, 12:26 PM
V
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the OP would update his Profile, we'd know what State or Country this is in.

Here in Vermont, I've mowed only 3 times so far this year; but grassy areas that I don't mow are only 7 or 8 inches tall.

Old 05-28-18, 12:42 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weedwacker... didnt think of that! He's got about 3/4 of an acre to do this way.... or he can wait till the city does it for him!

btw: In Illinois I had to mow 5 or 6 times so far. So that equates to a bit over 3'.

Old 05-28-18, 02:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
I suspect all it will take is one call to the city and once they come out and see it they'll give him X amount of days to get it cut or they'll do it for him along with a fine.

I've cut some real tall grass with a push mower before - it can be done but's slow going! A lot of lifting up the front of the mower and/or backing up to keep it from stalling.

Old 05-28-18, 04:08 PM
A
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I've ignored a large area out back since last fall because we have a very large and high widow maker hanging from an old willow tree so I've told the wife that it is off limits until mother nature brings the limb down, and that grass is nowhere near 3' tall, but there are many kinds of lawns and grasses, so if you say it's grown to 3' since October that's what it is. Regardless though, I've mowed several overgrown lawns that were at least 24-30" tall, and I have a buddy who stepped up for a friend of an elderly relative who had a similar situation, so yes, it can be done. You obviously go slow, and it still looks like heck the first couple of times, but comes around after a few times. The problem of course is that the taller it gets the longer it takes to dry out, which makes timing a pain. And the thing that I would wonder about more than anything else is how many rats and whatnot are thriving in that area.

Old 05-28-18, 05:07 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Sharp blades, lift the deck up all the way the first pass.
Go back over at the 3"setting.
I've mowed many a field and neglected house with 3' grass and even small trees with my Ferrris Z turn 27 HP with no issues or stalling out.
Could not pay me enough to try and do it with a push mower.

Old 05-28-18, 05:44 PM
V
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Sickle Bar Mower like this would make short work of that grass:
Name:  gt108_hi.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  34.7 KB
and then you could rake the hay for feed !

Old 05-28-18, 05:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Surprisingly I sometimes find long overgrown lots to be easy to mow. The natural variety of plants doesn't grow uniformly thick like a lawn so in spite of it's height it can cut rather easily. The worst is a lawn that's only been left go for a few months.

Old 05-29-18, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Another issue with cutting extra tall grass is any surprises that might be hid. Toys, rocks, etc. can't always be seen until you cut

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: