Rainbird Max-Paw sprinkler head not rising

Old 05-28-18, 08:17 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rainbird Max-Paw sprinkler head not rising

My sprinkler system is about 20 years old. I have had no major problems with it.

The sprinkler in question has not been damaged in any way I can tell. Nothing heavy has dropped on it, or anything like that.

I live in Colorado. We shut the system down in the winter. I turned the system on a few days ago. The entire system works except this one sprinkler.

Water is coming out, but the head will not pop out.

When the sprinkler is supposed to be working, I can pull the head up, but water gushes everywhere, instead of being sprayed.

Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-29-18, 01:54 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
When a head does not rise it's due to a leak or break in the head or pipe, not enough water pressure getting to the head to raise it up.

Need to do some digging to inspect!

Old 05-29-18, 05:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
First, with the system off go out and manually pull up on the riser. Do you feel any binding? I have occasionally seen the plastic housing deform over time which can bind the riser. You can just dig a small area around the sprinkler, unscrew the unit and screw on a new one. 15 minutes start to finish.

If the riser isn't binding it's not getting enough water volume and pressure. If it never did it before it's probably a leak in the line leading to that sprinkler though a leak anywhere else in that zone can cause it.

Old 06-01-18, 03:42 PM
W
I think the problem the riser would not work is because of sediment at the bottom. There was a lot. I dug out as much as I could, and the head would rise.

Still not out of the woods. Although the head would rise, the water would go everywhere. After inspection, I noticed that the arm that the hits the water stream, and is supposed to bounce back, does not bounce back - it closes and stays closed. I have racked my brains, but I can find no reason for that.

I bought a new head, and installed it. But it is set to turn 360, and I need 90. I know you are supposed to adjust those trip wires, I have tried that, and nothing seems to happen - except I get drenched.

I cannot hold the head up, and adjust the wires, there is a strong spring pulling the head down. I try to adjust the trip wire while the sprinkler is running. I just does not seem to work.

I don't have one of those special wrenches, so I try to adjust those wire while the sprinkler is running. They seem to do nothing. I hate to spend $14 on of those special wrenches, when I know I'll never use it again. I don't even know if it will help.

This video explains how to adjust those trip wires, but it does not seem to work for me. If you start watching at 5 minutes in, he spends a few seconds explaining how the trip wires are *supposed* to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfiH...ature=youtu.be

One thing I really hate about RainBird: there is practically no documentation. I even called the company. The documentation they sent me is just specifications, nothing about how to set it up.

I tried to adjust the way this guy does - after it is installed. But for me, it did not work. Start watching at two minutes, 30 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXKdHTEmsK4&t=213s

Last edited by walterbyrd; 06-01-18 at 03:46 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 06-01-18, 03:49 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So with the new head is it popping up as it should??

Adjusting the stops is very simple, one stop for the left, one for the right, just takes a second to zero it in.

I really miss those Maxi Paw heads, have the smaller gear driven heads but not as much fun to sit on the patio and listen!

Old 06-01-18, 05:30 PM
W
The new head pops up just fine. I just could not figure out how to make it stop turning 360 degrees.

I finally got it. I had to put the trip pin down.

Watch this video at 5 minutes and 30 seconds, if you don't know what a trip pin is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdeL7QQN650&t=321s

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: