One zone on sprinkler doesnít work

Old 06-12-18, 07:21 PM
One zone on sprinkler doesnít work

One of the zones on my six zone sprinkler system does not turn on automatically. I tried turning it on with the bleeder switch and it works. I also tried unscrewing the solonoid slightly and it works. I bought a new diaphragm with solenoid attached but due to the fact it is very deep, muddy and cramped in there, I am wondering if I could just change the solenoid to fix the problem.
In the past I replaced just the diaphragm top half with solonoid but the local store did not carry this brand:imitrol 205t.
Do you think it is the diaphragm or solonoid? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-18, 11:32 PM
So the solenoid will work manually, have you confirm you are getting power?

Old 06-13-18, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
You have confirmed that the zone can work since it works when you manually activate the valve. As Marq1 mentioned check to see that that solenoid is getting power. If not then you probably have a bad connection or broken wire. If all your other zones work it's probably the positive that is the problem as most irrigation valves are wired to share a common ground wire. If the wires to the solenoid are getting power then the solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced.

Old 06-13-18, 05:31 PM
There was no power when I checked it and then respliced wires and then did get power. Still didnít work so I got a new solonoid, I figured the old one burnt out if it got intermittent power.
New one installed and do get a gurgle sound when zone goes on but sprinklers donít go on, on this zone. Sounds like something is in the diaphragm? Can I just redo the diaphragm rather than replace it? Or dig up the whole thing and replace whole thing? Last time for another zone I got the same brand and just replaced top half. 3 stores near me do not carry imitrol. Thanks for your help. When I open bleeder, it works fine.

Old 06-13-18, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Diaphragms are sort of a wear item and have a limited life. First I would open up the valve and make sure there is no dirt or debris inside. Sometimes the tiniest bit of crud can cause trouble. If that doesn't fix it I would try replacing the diaphragm instead of the whole valve assembly.

Old 06-14-18, 02:17 AM
I would try replacing the diaphragm instead of the whole valve assembly.
UGH, I look at my manifold(s) and dread the day that that valve right in the middle would ever need to be replaced. It would be an all day job digging up and taking everything apart.

Old 06-25-18, 06:26 AM
I replaced the guts of the diaphragm including the new solenoid. All works perfectly now. Thank you all for your help.

Old 06-25-18, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Almost all in ground valves are a bugger to replace and would require digging and cutting the old valves and piping apart. Because manufacturers change their designs or discontinue items I like to keep a spare valve on hand. The body isn't much help unless you do dig everything up and replace the valve but you can rob it of any parts needed in the future to repair the valves that are in the ground.