Sprinkler System Leaking at Green Valve Box

Old 06-16-18, 05:08 PM
Sprinkler System Leaking at Green Valve Box

About a week ago, I noticed some water coming up from the ground. This happened shortly after I had my sprinkler system turned on. I called my sprinkler company, and they still have not come to fix it. I looked more closely tonight, and I realized the water is coming from the green valve box in the ground. I was able to remove the cover, but there is too much water to see inside. Is there a reason why this would be leaking? Is it possibly a faulty valve? I've never worked on a sprinkler system before, and I wasn't sure if this is something I can fix on my own. I appreciate any advice.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-18, 06:16 PM
As you know there is a big leak there, need to do some digging to identify where the water is coming from!

Old 06-16-18, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Something is broken or cracked. It may be the valve or the piping connected to it but it needs to be dug up and repaired.

Old 06-17-18, 10:36 AM
I was trying to turn off the water at the backflow preventer, but neither valve will budge. Is there a trick to turning them? The one I have looks something like this: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09...g?v=1483577666

Old 06-17-18, 01:27 PM
Probably need a few more ergs. Did you have your Cheerios this morning ? Find a piece of steel pipe about 1 foot or longer....slip it over the handle and try to close....gently. Pipe could have froze over the winter. Maybe system was not properly drained.

Old 06-17-18, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by YaddaYadda View Post
Probably need a few more ergs. Did you have your Cheerios this morning ? Find a piece of steel pipe about 1 foot or longer....slip it over the handle and try to close....gently. Pipe could have froze over the winter. Maybe system was not properly drained.
Thanks. I was finally able to get it closed. I needed more force like you said. I was afraid to pull it too hard. Can anyone advise how I find the leak? Do I dig around the valve box, or do I actually remove the valve box from the ground? I'm not sure the best way to do this.

Old 06-17-18, 09:30 PM
Do both....remove valve box and start digging....with hand tools. Bail out as you go. Let us know what you find...Hopefully, sprinkler service will come soon.