Help! Leaking Sprinker Solenoid

Old 07-09-18, 09:19 AM
Help! Leaking Sprinker Solenoid

I am trying to fix what is a leaking solenoid. Try putting pipe tape on the threads of the solenoid. It helped a lot but still see some drip as opposed to flooding. A neighbor suggested I changed the solenoid out (with Orbit 57401 pictured here https://www.orbitonline.com/products...t-solenoid-626) as the O ring may be bad. OK that seems reasonable. Is 24 volt the standard and this is the one I should get? My old one doesnt have any branding on it but it sure looks like the 57401. My other question for you lawn irrigation experts is are there any other parts I should consider checking/ replacing?

I tried contacting Orbit and the phone line was unanswered after a 2 hour wait. The chat system no one responded after 5 minutes of wait. IMO don’t buy their products if you want decent customer service. I post this because they should be shamed.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-18, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Wrapping with tape really isn't the best way to fix a leaking solenoid. Most seal with an O ring and not the threads. Also double check to make sure the valve body and solenoid are clean with no dirt or grass that could prevent it from sealing.

Yes 24 VAC is the industry standard for powering irrigation valves. Often you can share and swap parts from different brands as long as they physically fit together.

Old 07-09-18, 10:11 AM
Sorry the valve body is the part below the solenoid? I mean the solenoid screws on top of the valve body?

Old 07-09-18, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Yes... that should fit your valve. Many are interchangeable. In the picture.... the arrow is pointing to the O-ring that does the sealing. The threads are not used for a water seal.

Name:  orbit.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  17.8 KB
You may be able to just replace the O-ring.

Old 07-09-18, 11:48 AM
Where to buy the O ring? From a general hardware store like Home Depot? OR does Orbit sell O rings made for the solenoid?

Old 07-09-18, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure about Orbit. My Home Depot no longer sells generic O-rings. They used to have them in a drawer. A local hardware store should have them.

Old 07-09-18, 06:39 PM
Think pool techs carry RTV to make an o-ring.....if none handy.

Old 07-09-18, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
You can't use RTV there. You'd risk gluing the solenoid plunger.

Old 07-09-18, 08:48 PM
So I fixed the leak now one zone wont come on.

Old 07-09-18, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
The same zone you fixed or another one ?
Maybe you broke the connection, usually common, to another valve.