Help! Possible Fungus in Lawn

Old 08-08-18, 11:13 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Possible Fungus in Lawn

Hello,
We purchased our house in March and at the time our lawn looked great. It is now rapidly declining. The blades of grass are damaged with brown spots and there is a white powdery mold in most of the lawn. It is exclusive to the soil and thatch layer. I don't know if this is a normal fungus that helps break down dead matter, or if it is a larger fungal problem. We want to overseed and fertilize in September but are afraid to move forward until we can identify what is going on. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-18, 11:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 625 Votes on 578 Posts
Can you post a picture further away showing a large section of the lawn so we can see brown patches? Where are you located?

There are numerous fungi that attach turf grasses and depending on where you are located this is peak season for many of them. All are best treated before they get well established but most can be brought under control reasonably easy with fungicides.

Old 08-08-18, 06:06 PM
W
More Pictures

We live on the central coast in California, specifically Paso Robles.

Attached Images    
Old 08-08-18, 06:09 PM
W
I just realized it is hard to see the browning in the last picture i posted. The tips of grass are thinning, brown, and curling.

Old 08-09-18, 05:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 625 Votes on 578 Posts
We're not far from the peak heat of summer and you've been having some really high temperatures. Some of that browning especially the second picture in your last post looks like the grass suffering from the heat.

I'm not certain what type fungi you have. Your first photo of the white isn't much concern but the middle photo of your last post definetely shows damage from something. I would treat the yard with a fungicide. I have had very good luck with flutolanil (Prostar brand), but it's expensive. Propiconazole (Fathom brand) has also worked well and is relatively inexpensive but has a strong chemical odor.