Lawn care

Old 09-06-18, 07:11 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Lawn care

I have been living where I am for 16 years with a 2 acre lot and I always did my lawn preparation myself. This year, however, I decided to have a lawn care firm come in and do what they do in hope my lawn would be more grass and fewer weeds. After several months of their applications I was not happy at all since I have never seen so much crabgrass grow as it has this year. They had to come back several times to try to eliminate the crabgrass but all I have now is big brown spots where the weed died and now I see new sprouts of crabgrass growing. I have already discontinued their services and will be receiving a refund for the rest of the scheduled services. My question is: what can I do to start to get my lawn back in better shape even for next year. I don't have a problem with the retail weed and feeds but I'm not sure what is a good brand. I am planning to aerate and perhaps reseed. Thanks for any suggestions.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-18, 10:02 AM
Received 119 Votes on 110 Posts
but all I have now is big brown spots where the weed died
First off, crab grass is not a weed, it's well, it's a grass so no amount of weed and feed or weed killer is going to touch it.

You have to use a round up type vegetation killer to get it out. Either you kill it all and start from scratch or get out there and selectively kill the spots, wait a couple of weeks and replace them with seed or pieces of sod.

It's not something that is going to happen overnight, might take a couple of years but once you are in control it's just a maintenance thing.

Once under control you can use the preventative fertilizes during germination to keep new grass from growing but the spot killing will need to continue!

Old 09-06-18, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
You're in the window for re-seeding cool season grasses so I would put out starter fertilizer and seed and then crabgrass pre-emergent in the spring.