Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Pictures of girdled pine trees wish to remove???????

Old 09-12-18, 10:14 AM

[B][My pine tree fairly tall is saying goodbye ..So.. i want to trim it up.Now at the base i revealed 2 good size roots being called "girdled.Can i cut those girdled tree roots out on each side of the tree? Or is this not the correct way to go about it? any tips or info very appreciated. I have cut most all of the dead branches out already bob s

B] below are pictures thanks

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-18, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry, I can't figure out what your question is. You say the tree is dying and you're trying to trim it? And why are you removing roots and what are you worried about if you do?

Old 09-12-18, 03:16 PM
Am riding the fence here. If i thought tree would flourish awhile longer.I would not take it down............If the removal of the 2 girdled roots.would help it along, thanks bob s

Maybe i'm wrong about saying its gonna die..Does that make better sense

Old 09-12-18, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
OK, yeah, I think I understand now.

You might get the tree to look better for a while by removing the parts which do not look healthy but I've never heard of a tree benefiting from the removal of one or more root.

Old 09-12-18, 04:34 PM
I thought girdling in "tree talk" meant where the cambium layer of bark (the growing part of the tree) had been severed for the entire circumference of the tree, so that everything above that girdle will die.

This often happens inadvertently when a tree is wrapped with barbed wire to incorporate it in a fence line and then the tree is slowly killed as it outgrows the loop of wire that ceases to accommodate it as it grows larger in diameter, and is strangled.

Old 09-12-18, 04:39 PM
There is root girding,maybe the second picture might be a little but I would just leave it alone.https://www.google.com/search?q=root...w=1280&bih=528

Old 09-12-18, 05:19 PM
How about a picture of the rest of the tree to help us figure out why you think it's on it's way out.
I agree, if the tree is already in trouble cutting off roots is the last thing I'd be doing.

Old 09-13-18, 05:18 AM
Picture of my offending tree.thanks for all the help everybody bob s lmk what you are thinking

Attached Images   
Old 09-13-18, 05:49 AM
I know what you mean about girdling roots that wrap around a tree, but that's not what I am seeing in your picture. When that root began its' life the tree had branches all the way down, (right?), consequently the ground was moist, and it could simply grow out, instead of down, to collect water. Not uncommon to see high roots like that in protected areas. The problem though is that if the majority of them are that way you can have a tree that is rooted in say only a foot or two of soil, making it more likely to blow over in a heavy wind. And with evergreens you have the added factor that the foliage is tighter, so they catch more wind. But the branches that are dying is totally separate from what you are seeing in that root. The branches need space, to develop and grow, and the maple tree is winning that battle. So as the maple grows you will continue to lose pine branches on that side, but I don't thing that means the tree itself is dying.

Old 09-13-18, 06:30 AM
That looks like a Blue Spruce; not a Pine.

Old 09-13-18, 06:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks like blue spruce to me also but for many [like my wife] spruce, hemlock, etc. are all pine trees.

Old 09-13-18, 06:41 AM
Agreed, but I confess to guilty as far as lumping them altogether under "pine".

Old 09-13-18, 06:57 AM
It''s just that the life expectancy, drought resistance, water requirements, root depth, desired pH, and other variables may explain why it appears to be failing while the surrounding trees (including what appears to be a Norway Spruce next to it) appear to be fairing well.

Old 09-13-18, 01:32 PM
The row in back of the trees i speak of/can't remember the type ,hide a guy and his" junky yard". kinda figured THEY-should get more sunlight and rain coming down on them The 2 types mingled at the top So i trimmed what i could reach. thank you all for the help i do appreciate it bob s

Old 09-14-18, 07:39 AM
The backside of the "blue spruce on the rightside
....I removed dead branches 3/4 s of the backside. this year They just grew to close together ..........planted that way..................and seems, as many people do the same thing, Can anyone tell me what the healthy row in back is. I planted them over ten years ago thank you bob s

Old 09-14-18, 07:42 AM
Group Moderator
They look like arborvitae.

Old 09-15-18, 03:41 PM
thanks xsleeper --thinkin your correct bob s