Toro replacement solenoids

Old 10-17-18, 02:40 PM
Received 70 Votes on 60 Posts
Toro replacement solenoids

Preparing to have my 5 zone underground sprinkler system winterized next Friday I discovered that two valves on adjacent zones are not opening. (I had this problem on a different zone last year but the problem did not occur when starting up in the spring and the zone worked fine all season. Fortunate for me because I have no idea where the valve box is for that zone.)

I opened the valve box for the current problem zones and was able to get water flow manually by unscrewing the solenoids. There is a third zone valve in that same box that is operating OK, so I tried each of the other zones with that solenoid and they operated fine.

I have three ways to energize a zone: Timer on automatic, timer on manual, exterior service switch that mimics manual operation--none would operate the problem zones.

I have checked for voltage at each solenoid using a Klein NCVT-2 tester and each zone wiring tests fine for 24 VAC when energized.

From this I am concluding that two solenoids have failed and need to be replaced. I have ordered Toro Jar-Top solenoids from HD but the magnet end looks slightly different than the existing. HD allows returns if they don't fit.

Does this sound like a reasonable assessment and resolution for the problem or should I be checking something else too?

The new solenoids won't be here by Friday so we will open the valves manually to blow the zones out.

Old 10-17-18, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,328 Votes on 1,227 Posts
Finding 24vac at the solenoids and them not operating usually means they're bad.
I like to check them for continuity with an ohmmeter before replacing them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: