Help! What critters are doing this to my lawn?

Old 10-26-18, 01:37 PM
J
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Help! What critters are doing this to my lawn?

Last couple years something has been pulling up the grass (but not necessarily digging holes). What can it be and how do I discourage them?

northeast ohio

thanks, yvonne

I've attached photos

Attached Images    

Last edited by janebench; 10-26-18 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-26-18, 02:29 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi yvonne add your location to your profile as critters can be regional. I'm in Maine and my nemesis is skunks.

Bud

Just checked and looks like the forum is picking up country and using it as location. Might substitute OH for USA. Or the forum might fix their software, some day?

Old 10-26-18, 03:23 PM
W
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Do you have wild hogs in your area?

Old 10-26-18, 03:48 PM
J
no wild hogs. Northeast Ohio

Old 10-26-18, 04:10 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Actually I had heard hogs have reached Ohio, but digging up your lawn wouldn't be a seasonal event. Pick up or borrow a trail camera that detects motion and will give you a picture of what is doing this.

Bud

Old 10-26-18, 04:37 PM
V
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd reckon that it's Raccoons, Groundhogs, or Skunks , , , , all of whom are usually nocturnal, and might be caught in your lawn just before dawn if you're an early riser.

They're usually going after grubs (and this would be late for grubs) or earthworms.

Do your Neighbors have a similar problem . . . . or knowledge of what kind of varmint they are.

I have some ultrasound devices which fend them off for a while . . . . until they get used to the noise.,

Old 10-29-18, 08:07 AM
J
so what is the best way to discourage a skunk, racoon or ground hogs which we have around here. live in a very woody area. or is the only option treating the lawn for grubs?

Old 10-29-18, 10:20 PM
Y
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Maybe an Opossum or Racoon. Bait a live trap and hope no skunk gets caught.

Old 10-30-18, 03:52 AM
V
I never had Grubs until we installed a 40' X 40' Raspberry Patch and the Japanese Beetles came to eat the Raspberry leaves and lay their eggs in our lawn.

The eggs hatched and unleashed the Grubs . . . . which must be like a Lobster Feast for Skunks, Raccoons and other critters who are attracted to them seasonally..

I Inoculated my lawn with Milky Spore ® in 2013 and it has slowly reduced the Grub population and the resultant damage has been progressively greatly reduced; year after year; but it took patience.

We've trapped Skunks with a Havahart® Trap and used an old Shower Curtain to slowly walk up on the trap to cover it (apparently they won't spray unless they can see the target) and carry it deep into the woods . . . . I've never put one inside the trunk of my car. Some people up here just put the Trap in the river to drown the Skunk; but we never do that.

The Solar Powered Ultrasound devices (Ebay has hundreds) seem to be effective in repelling some species for a while; but the best solution seems to be removing the attraction that draws in the parties that want to feast on the delicacy . . . . they can't control themselves.

Old 10-31-18, 07:36 AM
A
Received 228 Likes on 209 Posts
It's a waste of time to catch the animals and then release them in the woods. They will come back, unless by chance or by luck they find someone else's lawn first.

You have to drive them several miles away for better or worse.

Old 10-31-18, 08:00 AM
V
Originally Posted by AllanJ
". . . It's a waste of time to catch the animals and then release them in the woods. They will come back, unless by chance or by luck they find someone else's lawn first . . ."
Yes, we take Coons about 8 miles away to the other side of a River and an InterState . . . . but Skunks present a different set of problems, and we can't risk putting them inside our car's trunk. Hand carrying them about a miles into the woods seems to be successful because they're nearly blind.

Actually, it's illegal here in Vermont to transport wildlife at all because of the potential spread of Rabies The Game Warden would suggest that we catch them in the Havahart® Trap and then shoot them. No help there.

Old 10-31-18, 02:55 PM
J
thanks all. I don't see myself trapping and moving them. And I don't see myself killing them. So, I will slowly work on eliminating the grubs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: