Complete ground clear

Old 10-28-18, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Complete ground clear

I'm looking for a complete ground clear. I live in the California High Desert. The conditions are sandy, dry. I want to completely clear areas of my property of all weeds: foxtail grass, thistle tumble weed, and the wonderful "goat heads". I tried Ortho 12 month ground clear, and got weeds again after 3 weeks.
I am considering Compare-N-Save Concentrated Grass and Weed killer, although it appears to need re-application after almost every rain (which is few and far between here)
Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-18, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
Are you trying to keep the ground totally barren year round without having to re-apply herbicide? If so, there is no product that will do that.

Old 10-28-18, 04:25 PM
No, I am just looking for the best product to keep it clear for most of the time. I am aware that re-application is necessary. I just think that at 40 dollars a bottle for 12 month ground clear, re-application after 3 weeks falls a little short.

Old 10-28-18, 05:53 PM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
May I ask why you want to keep it clear of all vegetation? I don't mean to sound like a tree huger, but trying to fight nature is almost impossible and not good for the environment. Although I do occasionally use ground clear and pesticides, I also try to limit their use and usually work around what nature tries to do.

Old 10-29-18, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
If the cost is an issue consider buying your chemicals somewhere else. I usually find big name home centers to be the most expensive. Depending on your location more agricultural suppliers like Camp or Southern States or even online can be less expensive.

Weed control depends on specifically what weeds you are trying to control, what you are applying and at what rate. Your application rate may have been too low to control your weeds. Also, most long lasting/acting herbicides are suseptible to movement by water. If you had a heavy rain after application it could have washed the herbicide away.

Old 10-29-18, 06:46 AM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Brand does not matter, find one with at least 40% glyphosate.
Just read the label where it states active ingredient.
It needs to be sprayed on the leaves to kill the plant to the roots.
To keep new stuff from growing you need a pre emergent, which one depends on what it is your trying to kill.

Old 11-02-18, 05:16 PM
Norm, I live in an area where we have strict fire codes, I have a fairly big property, the natural vegetation is ugly, and it is not fun for me or my pets to step on.
I am fairly environmentally conscientious and grow peppers, roses, tomatoes, and fruit entirely organic. A lot of hand picking and removing of bugs here. I want to create a n area inside my fence line where my dogs and cats can run the fence like they enjoy doing with goat heads and thistle burs in their feet, which end up in my house for me to step on as well.
In the past, I have let them sprout and then hula hoe'd them down. It is a constant battle and most weeks I don't have time.

Old 11-02-18, 05:19 PM
I think my final decisions is something effective now, and then constant vigilance and re-application. Perhaps a 12 month solution is just lazy. I will research and consult local landscape contractors for best suggestion.

Old 11-03-18, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Glyposate is good stuff but doesn't work as well on desert plants that can have a tough or waxy exterior. And the 40% that Joecaptain mentioned is just the concentrate strength. At that strength is is a syrup and cannot be sprayed. It get's diluted to a much weaker concentration for use. I might add a surfactant to help it get it into plants with a waxy outer exterior or that have fine hairs.

I would research products like Velpar, Garlon 4 (Triclopyr), Remedy Ultra, Surmount and Crossbow as they might be better on your harder, woody plants. Read the product labels carefully as some are less idiot tolerant. As with many long residual effect herbicides many can be moved by water so you have to be careful on slopes where it may run off with rain.

Old 11-03-18, 05:54 PM
Thanks Pilot Dane.
I will research these products.