Crabgrass in NJ -- advice please

Old 12-10-18, 09:22 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crabgrass in NJ -- advice please

Hi everyone, please see attached picture (not great quality due to shadow from house).

Had a few patches of crab grass last year and TruGreen showed up really late this past summer of 2018 and more areas popped up. Now in the winter I have these ugly brown patches. In the picture, some areas are hibernating grass, but the patches in from of the vegetable garden and in the backyard are crabgrass. Questions:

1) Should I rake off the dead crabgrass? Reading on this forum made me think NO, since it would spread the seeds.
2) Should I apply preemergent now in December or just wait until March?
3) I assume preemergent in March and June and reseed in September?
4) Is there no hope -- should I get sod instead?

Any other advice would be great. Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 12-10-18, 09:29 AM
M
Sorry I can't seem to rotate the picture to the correct orientation.

Old 12-10-18, 09:56 AM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
Is there no hope -- should I get sod instead?

There is always hope!!

Crabgrass is seasonal, new grass emerges in the spring which is the time to apply preventer. If you apply now, or too early in the spring (before germination) you will just be throwing money away.

But the problem is if you want to re seed you cant do it at the same time as applying crab grass preventer since it shuts down all germination!

It takes time to rid crabgrass, every year I do hand spraying to kill existing plants while using a preventer to keep new generations from starting.

If a lot of the plants are already dead, I'd start re seeding in the spring otherwise you will have a fresh crop of all other type of weeds before fall!

Old 12-10-18, 10:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
You said you have Tru Green service your lawn. Have you ended your contract with them? What have they said about their future treatment plans? Did they give you instructions to care for your lawn?

Old 12-10-18, 11:27 AM
M
TruGreen was beyond horrible. Showed up late in the spring for the preemergent.
Then could not get them to come reliably. For a period, they missed two straight treatments. I complained and complained and they promised to stay on top of it, but underdelivered. My lawn suffered as a result.

Old 12-10-18, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,409 Posts
IMO there are certain climates where crabgrass needs to be treated twice. Preemergent in early spring and post emergent closer to mid-June. Preemergent has to do with soil temperature so you are right to be concerned about it being applied at the right time.

Only benefit to applying late spring is if you have spot seeded the lawn, the new grass needs time to get established first.

Old 12-10-18, 02:13 PM
M
But do I rake up the dead crabgrass now or does that cause spreading seeds?
I have off this week and some time, that's why I need to know.
Or should I rake in March and then apply fertilizer?

Old 12-10-18, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,409 Posts
It doesn't matter one way or the other. The seeds won't germinate until soil temperatures are 55-60F or above. Not air temperature... soil temperature. That is when preemergent should be applied... not before.

If it worries you pull them by hand and bag them.

Old 12-10-18, 02:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
I agree, there isn't much you can do now. Since you have time I would read up on possible treatments. Pre-emergent is easy as most products are granular and easily applied with inexpensive spreaders. Some of the good pos-emergents are liquids so application and require a sprayer. Not bad for spot treatment but you'll want a sprayer to do your entire lawn.

Old 12-10-18, 02:41 PM
M
Thanks for your replies .
i have read there is one spray that will kill crabgrass but still allow seeding,Tupersan. That sounds like what I need to do.

Is it any good?

So pull out the dead crabgrass now,
Apply Tupersan in spring,
And reseed in spring?

Or pull now ,
Apply generic preemegent in spring
And seed in fall ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: