Water Irrigation System always breaking

Old 02-20-19, 05:42 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Irrigation System always breaking

Hello DYI Forum,

I am looking for a cure for my irrigation system, the system keeps on breaking at the control value(PVC cracking, or PVC glue coming apart). I believe it is due to the pressure, but am not sure, I have used a pressure measuring tool and recorded a main line pressure of >160PSI, I am not sure if that is the pressure going into the irrigation system, but am pretty sure that is what its at, as I cannot see a pressure regulator at the shutoff valve. Any suggestions or ideas would be of great help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-19, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Where is water coming from that is that high in pressure ?
Hopefully not from in your house.

Home irrigation systems are usually limited to 60psi.
There are high pressure systems used but that would require high pressure valves.

Old 02-21-19, 02:58 AM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
recorded a main line pressure of >160PSI

Ahh, that can't be right, a well is not capable of that pressure and city water is in the 40-50 range?

Old 02-21-19, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
City water pressure could be that high. That's why houses often have a pressure reducer valve to lower the pressure and protect the homes plumbing. If I'm not mistaken our water pressure is around 120 psi at the meter. It sounds like the OP's system is getting the water before it reaches the house and the PRV.

Old 02-25-19, 05:50 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The water is coming from the city line, the house pressure is hovering at 60psi, there is a regulator into the house, but there isn't a regulator into the sprinkler system I believe, as they are on two different lines and I don't see a connection of any sort.

Old 02-26-19, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Sounds like you need to either reroute the service line for the sprinkler system so it is supplied after the PRV or install a separate PRV for the sprinkler system. Besides being higher pressure directly from the meter that water is also subject to spikes in pressure when there is less demand for water in the neighborhood [like in the middle of the night]