Advice needed - tire marks in yard

Old 03-14-19, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice needed - tire marks in yard

There is a small section of my yard I have to back into in order to get into my garage. In your opinion, what is the best way to fix this muddy mess (Pic link below)? i.e. dig it out and fill it with rock

Pic: https://imgur.com/a/fDXCZsK

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-19, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

A couple people on my block had this problem. Two just filled it with, I think, gravel.

Another one had it dug out flat and had blacktop put on.

Old 03-14-19, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
If you want the elevation to be the same as it is now then you should dig out then fill with crushed stone. This also has the benefit of getting through some of the topsoil which tends to soften more than deeper soils.

If you don't mind a hump or building up of the area then stone can just be dumped on top. For regular/daily use I think about 4" is the minimum thickness needed but that can vary a lot depending on what your soil is like and the weight of your vehicles.

When purchasing crushed stone for a driveway I like "crusher run". It's a stone mix with everything from decent sized gravel, small bits and stone dust. It packs down well and forms a strong base that can support a lot of weight. It's what's used as a foundation under many roads.

Old 03-15-19, 03:23 PM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I keep my mower in a shed in a low spot in my yard where mud is sometimes a problem. I used 1-1/2" thick square paving stones from Homie's Depot to build a "runway" for that mower to run on to stay out of the mud. Maybe someone else would know better than me whether they would stand up to the weight of a car.

Old 03-15-19, 04:24 PM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by The unHandyman
There is a small section of my yard I have to back into in order to get into my garage. In your opinion, what is the best way to fix this muddy mess?
A) add 2B stone
B) add wood chips
C) dig out the area about 6" deep, then add alternating layers of old carpeting and 2B stone.

The simplest solution is pickup truckload of 2B stone, mixed in.
The 2B stone is clean stone, without grit/screenings.
When added to a muddy area it will settle into the ground and eventually provide a mowable "grassy area" which is still able to support the weight of a vehicle. In the short term, you'll have a 3-6" high area of stone, each time you drive over it, the vehicle will push stone down, rake it flat every few days. Eventually you'll get a stable base of stone reaching down to hard sub-soil, with mud-soil in between the stone, which lets grass grow.

If you have easy access to a roto-tiller, churn the muddy area up first, remove a few inches of soil by shoveling the mud into a wheelbarrel, THEN do alternating layers of stone/straw or grass clippings, and tamp down. Throw some grass seed into the last layer of dirt.

Old 03-16-19, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
I would avoid wood chips. I used to cover the trails behind our house with mulch. It worked great and looked nice for the first few years. But, over time the wood chips decomposed into mush more squishy than mud. I had to remove all the decomposed mush and cover the trails in crushed stone. It's not as pretty and natural looking but it holds up much better.

Old 03-16-19, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
The first thing to do is to wait for it to dry out. Doing anything now will only make things worse.