Is this moss, weed or what?

Old 04-01-19, 01:23 PM
Is this moss, weed or what?

Hi All,

A lot of my lawn (in northern NJ) has now started to show a lot of whatever the fuzzy stuff is that's in the two attached pictures. One is a close-up of about a foot or two away; the other is from about eye-level looking down (about 5.5 feet in the air).

When we had a soil analysis early last year (or possibly the year before) by a reputable local company (via the Rutgers extension office, I believe), everything came back within normal ranges.

Any thoughts on what this plant is, and - more importantly - how I get rid of it?

Thanks!

Name:  m1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  122.4 KB

Name:  m2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  146.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-11-19 at 11:39 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-19, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Hard to tell when it's mixed in with the grass like that but yeah it looks like a type of feather moss.

A simple way to kill it is with Dish soap... about 2 oz per gallon of water. Then once it has turned brown, rake it out of the lawn.

Old 04-01-19, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

I would have to treat probably about 1/3 of an acre. Not a huge area, but by no means a spot treatment with a hand sprayer.

It would be much easier to use a spreader, so would iron sulphate work as well? Any negatives to using that?

Also, are either the soap or iron sulphate treatments something that can be done very close in time to either fertilizer/pre-emergent or fertilizer/grass seed? (I would use pre-emergent and grass seed in different areas of the lawn, not both in the same area).

Thanks again!

Old 04-01-19, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Moss likes low pH (acid) soil so it might be a good time to consider putting some lime on the lawn. A soil test will confirm. I have testing done at my county's Agricultural Extension office and it's only $4. You tell them what you want to grow and your test will come back with a recommendation of what (lime, nitrogen...) and how much to add.

Moss can also indicate that your lawn is wet. If you have an irrigation system you might want to cut back.

Old 04-01-19, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Dane.

When I had my soil tested either last year or the year before, everything came back within normal ranges. Maybe I should have it done again.

We have not yet turned on the sprinkler system, so the lawn has whatever natural moisture we have - and it hasn't been any extra rainy here.

I'll try adding some lime to see what happens, but any idea which wins between ferrous sulfate and dish soap? Can can either/both be done in conjunction with fertilizer/seed or fertilizer/pre-emergent?

Thanks again!

Old 04-11-19, 09:02 AM
Hi All,

Any idea which wins between ferrous sulfate and dish soap/water solution for purposes of killing moss?

Can either the ferrous sulfate and/or the dish soap/water solution be done in conjunction with fertilizer/seed or fertilizer/pre-emergent? (I wouldn't use both ferrous sulfate AND dish soap/water solution, though.)

Thanks!

Old 04-11-19, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Check back in a month or two. I have a mossy area at my house and I'm going to try both solutions and see which works best.

Yes, you can apply iron sulfate or dish soap with most herbicides and fertilizers. There should be no conflict. Keep in mind the pre-emergent herbicides and planting new grass often don't mix.

Old 04-11-19, 10:14 AM
Hi Dane,

Any idea about how long the soap solution takes to work to kill the moss? Once its dead and raked up, I'm planning on putting down some lime and then pre-emergent and grass seed.

Also, understood re: pre-emergent and new grass seed. They would be used in different areas, i.e., I'm using pre-emergent in most areas of my lawn but leaving a few areas clear of it - which is where I will put new seed.

Thanks again!

Old 04-11-19, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
I've read that with iron sulfate you can start to see results within a few hours. It should look really knocked down in a couple days and you should do your raking and reseeding within two weeks.

"I'm planning on putting down some lime and then pre-emergent and grass seed." Read your product label instructions. Most pre-emergent's should not be applied when starting new seed. You can apply fertilizer to help the new grass take off but I usually do not do herbicides when starting new grass. Some pre-emergent products wont kill grass but they can weaken and stress young grass.

Old 04-11-19, 11:53 AM
Thanks again.

I didn't mean I would use the pre-emergent and grass seed in the same area. Rather, I'm going to stake out some areas where I will use grass seed, and the other areas will get pre-emergent.

I can't imagine grass seed / young grass are so offended by pre-emergent that it can't bear to be even near it! (Right?)

Old 04-13-19, 01:49 AM
Ive read that moss also likes compacted soil. A mechanical aeration will help. Also there are products that I heard that work that you can spray if you dont want to go the mechanical aeration route. Mechanical aeration is hard work with operating, renting, loading & hauling but does wonders for a lawn. Most lawns ive seen 4 -6 weeks after a mechanical aeration looks ALOT better then before. Check the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_7RZ-2y5A&t=162s

Old 04-13-19, 06:13 AM
Hi Blitz,

Thanks for the ideas. I don't think compaction can be the problem, however. Every fall for the past six years, we have had a lawn company that comes and does core aeration and slit seeding.

Anyway, I tried the ferrous sulfate (MossOut brand), and the moss looked a tinge darker after about 10 minutes. Several hours later, it turned black! On the agenda for today is trying to rake it up. I'm assuming it will be easier, but we shall see.

Thanks again, all.

Old 04-15-19, 05:38 AM
Heres the another video where I seen the the guy mentions compaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Zz2Tu7FNI&t=364s