One zone on sprinkler system not working

Old 04-15-19, 07:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One zone on sprinkler system not working

My sprinkler system has been working fine for a while, but one of the zones (back yard) stopped working. It doesnít start automatically or manually. I switched the wires from this zone to another and the back yard still doesnít turn on but the front yard connected to the back yard zone works fine, so the controller is OK. I checked the wires on the other end and they looked a little corroded so I cut them back and spiced them again, and still no luck.

I can manually turn the water on by turning the handle. What should I check next? Itís a Rainbird system. Pick attached.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-19, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 151 Posts
I usually use a volt meter to check for power on the wires going to the solenoid but you checked that already by switching wires and you know power is getting to the end of the wires. The first thing I would do is clean the solenoid wires and the wires from your controller and re-connect them. If the zone works you just had a bad connection. If that didn't work then the easiest thing is to replace the whole valve assembly.

If you don't want to replace the valve assembly you can diagnose further. Disassemble the valve and while you have it apart hook up the solenoid wires and have the controller turn that zone on. Did the little pin in the solenoid retract? If yes then I'd try replacing the rubber diaphragm. If the solenoid pin did not retract I would replace the solenoid.

Old 04-15-19, 09:19 AM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
It doesnít start automatically or manually
I switched the wires from this zone to another and the back yard still doesnít turn on
So by switching the wires and zone not working that would indicate that the solenoid is bad which is an easy replacement.

The fact that you state it doesn't turn on manually says that there is a bigger issue.

First step, is water getting to the valve?

Old 04-15-19, 08:28 PM
I tried resplicing the solenoid wires with no luck, Although I just did the colored wire not the common so I can check that tomorrow.

It looks like replacing the valve entails cutting the old one off and junctioning in a new one, correct? How do I disassemble the valve? Does the solenoid just unscrew? What else do you need to do?

To answer the other reply, I think I worded my initial post poorly. I can turn the water on manually at the valve, but canít use the manual mode on the controller to turn it on.

Old 04-15-19, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
Most likely a defective solenoid. If you had an ohmmeter you could check it for continuity. If you measured any resistance it would most likely be good while measuring no resistance would indicate an open coil. Those solenoids are easily replaceable and inexpensive. The following link from RainBird is very helpful with part numbers at the end.

Rain Bird ASV maintenance pdf

Old 04-20-19, 12:22 PM
Replaced the solenoid and still no luck. Double checked all the connections and everything looks good. Can turn on manually from the value but nothing from the control panel.

What should I look at next?

Old 04-20-19, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have a multi meter or voltage tester? If so then I would check between the two wires going to the solenoid and make you are getting power when that zone is activated.

Old 04-21-19, 07:20 PM
Of course, this was the time the battery in my multimeter decided to corrode so needed to get a new one,

Yes, seeing power when zone is on. Interesting thing is I get virtually no resistance on terminals of old solenoid, and even less on the new one. Is it possible that the new solenoid is defective? Is there something that might damage the new one when hooked up?

Old 04-22-19, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
It is possible that a new solenoid is bad. I would double check your system's voltage and the voltage rating of the solenoid. 24 VAC is most common. But there isn't much you can do wrong when wiring the solenoid.

Old 04-22-19, 07:39 PM
Thanks. At this point prob going to take my multi meter with me to Home Depot and test the next one before buying. 😀