Toro Flo-Pro valve diagram

Old 04-19-19, 01:12 PM
Received 20 Votes on 16 Posts
Toro Flo-Pro valve diagram

Can anyone provide or direct me to a cut-away diagram that shows how a Toro Flo-Pro valve operates?

My sprinkler system was installed in 1995. When winterizing last fall two of the zone valves would not operate. I managed to get those two zones emptied by removing the valve heads and accessing the pipes directly. I did a little troubleshooting but could not determine the problem.

I have just tackled this problem again in anticipation of a need to begin watering. The solenoids are all OK. I have three zone valves in the same box and I was able to operate the working zone with each of the other solenoids but neither of the disabled zones will work with a known good solenoid. So I think the problem is with the valves.

The diaphragms look OK (no cuts or tears), the springs are intact and the central "pin" assembly seems to move freely. If I could see how the valve is supposed to operate I might be able to check or replace something that is preventing these valves from operating.

Thanks.

Name:  toro.JPG
Views: 716
Size:  56.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-06-19 at 11:25 AM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-19, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
Not much found in video help. No videos from Toro.
Youtube.com/watch?v=zfhBtbuJBK0

See starting at page 195..... Toro parts breakdown catalog
Manual and instruction diagrams

Old 04-20-19, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Almost all irrigation valves operate on the same servo principle. Finding a good "how irrigation valves work" video or article for any brand or model should give you a good idea how yours works. The parts might be a different size or shape but the operating principle is the same.

Old 04-20-19, 07:53 AM
Thanks. The "Manual and instruction diagrams" link shows my valve so I can troubleshoot it. One of the videos made a point of making sure the small hole through the pin of the seat assembly is not blocked and I haven't done that yet. It's raining today so I won't get back to it for a while. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 05-07-19, 12:18 PM
I have found the valve diagram attached here for reference. My valves do not have flow control so I cut and pasted just the parts that are relevant. (Oops, I mistakenly blanked out part #7, 35-8193, Cap.)

I spent 4 hours yesterday afternoon troubleshooting. Fortunately it was a nice day to be outside. Unfortunately I have not yet found the reason for the problem. The valves will not open.

The solenoids retract when powered. I unscrewed each and checked their operation. I also mounted each solenoid from a non-operating valve onto one that is working and that valve operated normally. The non-operating valves do not work with the "working valve" solenoid.
Conclusion: The solenoids are not the problem.

The valves do not open when the solenoid is unscrewed for manual operation. However, water does flow with the diaphragm and the seat assembly removed.
Conclusion: The master valve is operating, water supply is available and outlet lines are not blocked.

I made sure the tube of the seat assembly is not blocked. I installed the diaphragm both with and without it's spring. There is still no flow.
I installed the diaphragm without the seat assembly and the water flows.
I installed the seat assembly BELOW the cap (not in contact with the solenoid) and the water flowed but would not shut off. (The original diagram and the part numbering imply that the seat assembly goes below the cap, but I'm pretty sure it popped out of the top when I first disassembled the valve last fall.)
Conclusion: I have no idea!

Should I replace the diaphragm? (I would think that a defective diaphragm would cause the valve to leak not stay closed.)

Should I replace the stem assembly? (It has no moving parts and all openings are clear. If the interface with the solenoid was a problem that also should cause the valve to leak or open--not stay closed.)

I found a number of on line comments about this valve and they all say to replace it completely. That is a task that I would like to avoid since the existing valves are below ground (in a valve box under a rhododendron) and are mounted with compression fittings on black plastic pipe. I have worked with such pipe before and it is very difficult to get fittings on even when space is not constricted. (From left-to-right: Zones 4, 5, and 3. Zones 3 & 4 are not working.)

Suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images   
Old 05-07-19, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Yes, try a new diaphragm. Even a tiny pinhole or crack in a diaphragm can cause problems.

I keep a couple complete valve assemblies on hand as spares that way I always have any parts needed and I have a entire replacement valve if it comes to that.

Old 05-18-19, 12:57 PM
New diaphragms installed on Zones 3, 4, & 5 (which was leaking) and on master valve (which failed during troubleshooting. All working fine now.

Don't know where valve box for Zones 1 & 2 is located, so I am keeping fingers crossed that they don't fail soon but will probably be back asking how to locate box when they do.

It's only a matter of time.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-18-19, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
One of the locating services can find it as there is underground wiring there. Many electricians have underground wiring locating units. I have one.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 06-07-19, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Needed: copy of diagram

hey, Guys! Iím fighting a similar battle with my Flo-Pro With Flow Control and cannot find the diagram. Can someone please post the unredacted version of the diagram shown earlier in this chain? Thx!!!

Old 06-10-19, 02:10 PM
copy of diagram
It is Figure 8 in https://www.midwestturf.net/wp-conte...tion-Guide.pdf

Old 06-29-19, 03:13 PM
Thumbs up I found the valve box--don't be afraid to try

Just to provide feedback...

I called around to a few rental places to see if they had cable locators and none did. One offered a metal detector but I thought that was too iffy and declined.

Knowing it would cost me some $ I called the company that winterizes the system (basic blow out) and they had a locator but wouldn't lend or rent it to me. So I scheduled a $100 service call for them to come and help me locate the valve box even though I was skeptical about it--they have some terrible Yelp ratings.

They missed the first appointment and I had to call again to reschedule. The owner and his adult son did arrive for the second appointment but then were unsure about whether the locator was working. They also had trouble understanding (not a language issue) that the valve I was looking for was assigned a different number at the controller than in the field and it took me several tries to get them to make the connection based on the wire color rather than the zone number. ("The valve I am looking for is connected to the white wire--the zone number is irrelevant!") Then they stomped around in the garden for 15 minutes, destroyed a few plants, argued about whether the signal heard was from the locator or a hearing aid, took a few phone calls about other jobs and finally said they could not find the box without digging along the pipe until they found it. That would take two men at $100/hour and would have to be scheduled. They left.

SWMBO went ballistic. "Those idiots are NOT digging up my garden!"

underground wiring locating units. I have one.
Based on this advice from PJmax I found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I had looked for something similar before calling the sprinkler guys but the ones I found then did not have such good reviews. This one had some excellent reviews and free shipping so I went for it. (Wish I had found it before spending $100 on the service call.) It arrived a week before schedule and I spent about an hour tracing the wire until I found the box buried about 6 inches below grade. (Practicing first with a wire above ground was suggested in a review and is good advice.)

SWMBO is happy and now I know where the valve box is and I have a new tool. It can also be used to locate wires and metal pipes in walls, etc.

Based on this episode I also decided that I am not going to do business with those guys anymore. I found a different sprinkler company that does winterization, they have excellent Yelp reviews, were very responsive to my inquiry and charge 25% less. I'm scheduling with them this fall!