Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Can I get recommendations for a lawn plan that I will stick with?

Old 04-23-19, 01:39 PM
A
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I'm in sw Virginia and I'm tired of paying lawn companies $700ish per year with results that are ok but not outstanding.

I'm certain I can achieve "ok" by saving and doing it myself. I have a push spreader so can someone recommend of point me to a yearly plan with the products I should buy and when?

Old 04-23-19, 03:31 PM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
As you probably have seen in the information that the companies you have hired provided, there is no single answer. Keeping it simple, you could go with say spring and fall weed and feed and fertilizer, the fall one being slower release so that it's not trying to jump start your grass at a time when its' wanting to go dormant. Or you could up something simple like this to 4 times a year. Then there are the specific treatments for things like crabgrass, grubs, etc., some I assume being regional to some degree anyway, but that are more stringent as far as where, what, and when to apply. Rhetorical question, but do you water your lawn? This can be a determining factor for applying even the basic ingredients in weed and feed because you want the grass damp so that the weed part sticks to the broad leafs and whatnot, but you typically do not want to water or have rain for something like 24 hours because you want it to cling but not get washed off. And you don't want to apply it during a drought, obviously, else it will all turn brown and you won't have to worry about any of it. So doing it yourself, even starting simple, often means getting up with the rooster and getting it spread while the dew is still heavy, assuming that rain is in the future, but not too immediate future. As far as where, what, and when, companies like Scott have schedules on their websites, or you can spend some time at the stores that carry what you want in your area and read the labels.

Old 04-23-19, 05:29 PM
A
Good advice thanks! Yeah we water but only when it hasn't rained in a while.

Old 04-23-19, 06:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Soil test and then add the amendments recommended from it. Make sure the lawn gets 1-2" of water per week either by rain or sprinkler with longer, deeper waterings being better than frequent, short sessions. If only one, the fall round of fertilizer is often considered the most important.

Old 04-26-19, 07:23 PM
Y
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
AQ.....Is fertilizing the only service you want ? Mowing, edging & clean up ???

Old 04-26-19, 10:30 PM
A
I do the mowing, edging and clean up. I just want the keep the weeds at bay, seed when needed and address the patchy areas...stuff like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: