Pre-emergent and post-emergent question

Old 05-26-19, 01:38 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pre-emergent and post-emergent question

I am located in west central Florida and would like to know when it it best to apply pre-emergent and post-emergent????

Old 05-26-19, 01:44 PM
B
Bermuda Grass

I would like to know the best way to remove Bermuda grass from an Argentine Bahia grass lawn......

Old 05-26-19, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I combined your threads as they are basically on the same weed topic.

Old 05-26-19, 03:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
The package label has directions when to apply. As the names say you apply pre-emergent herbicide before the weeds you want to control emerge/germinate. Post-emergent herbicides are used after the weed you want to control is established.

Is your post correct? Do you want to remove Bermuda from a Bahia lawn? Usually it's the opposite.

Old 05-26-19, 03:46 PM
B
Thanks Pilot Dane but I was hoping you could give me a more specific time to apply them, rather than "pre" and "post". Let me rephrase the other question....how do you kill Bermuda grass?

Sorry PJmax….your response didn't make sense to me... could you clarify?

Old 05-26-19, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Pre-emergent herbicide is used before the plants start growing. It prevents seeds from germinating.

Post-emergent is used directly on plants that have already started growing.

Old 05-27-19, 04:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
It's pretty simple. The package tells you when to apply the product. Pre's need to be applied before the weed emerges. Post's are used after the plant has passed the seedling stage.

Bermuda is very tough to control in an established lawn. This late into the season the best result is to use a herbicide containing glyphosate (RoundUp). This will kill any grass you spray. Kill the Bermuda. Then give it a month to see if any seeds or rhizomes survived and spray again. Once you have it dead you can seed or sod with a grass you want. There are selective herbicides (sethoxydim, clethodim, fluazifop) but they need to be used much earlier in the season.

Old 06-13-19, 02:14 PM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Here in N.Dallas when fall's re-seeded grass is about 2 inches tall I apply pre-em. That will be anytime time from late August to December and then again in late January to early February. I use prodiamine 65. I used to apply post emergent in generally in March but this year I moved away from that preferring to fight weeds instead. I would say check label for specifics it will tell you when is the ideal window for your area. Remember in all this timing is a crucially key factor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: