Sprinklers won't turn on

Old 05-26-19, 10:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sprinklers won't turn on

Hello:

I was wondering if anyone can help me?

I have a 12 zone orbit sprinkler timer, which didn't turn on. I tried manual, but it says on the timer, its running, but the valve don't turn on.

I tried checking voltage at the timer, and found something odd: I turned zone 1 manually, and there is 29 VAC on all the 10 zones!!!

I then removed the common wire and tried to see resistance: all zones show very high resistance (1000 Ohms).

My question is: is the timer gone bad? If yes, then why is the resistance so high.
And if there is bad splice on common, why are all zones reading 29 VAC, when only one is on?

Can anyone shed some light please?

thanks

JK

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-19, 05:03 AM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
At what points did you measure the voltage? Are all 12 zones controlled by the same program?. Does the manual zone select override the program the zone is assigned to? Measuring circuit voltage w.ithout current flowing in circuit is not unusual

Old 05-27-19, 05:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
I would check your common wire as it's the one wire that will affect all zones. With very high resistance I suspect the wire has broken or a connection is loose.

YaddaYadda voted this post useful.
Old 05-27-19, 09:34 AM
J
Okay, Here is what I tried: I dsiconnected zone two wire. I manually turned on zone one, there is 29 VAC between common white wire and zone one wire (as should be). HOWEVER, there is 29 VAC between the disconnected zone two wire and the common?

What does that mean?

I did the same experiment with zone 9 wire which is still attached to the controller. When I turned on the zone 9 manually, there is same 29 VAC read between the disconnected zone 2 wire and common.

In the meanwhile....

I can manually turn the valve on (using the bleed screw), so water supply is ok.
There is no rain sensor. Also orbit controller has a rain sensor off/on button; currently it is on "Off" setting.

I had installed some stakes in my vegetable garden which is way way away on the other side of the house. Neverthless I still dug it all up to the point as far as the stake goes, and around it, no signs of any wire or any cut wires.

I tried to dig up outside the garage where the wires come out....so far they seem all intact.

Still don't have any clues how to proceed. Any further thoughts.

I appreciate your time to read and reply.

Old 05-27-19, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,192 Votes on 1,103 Posts
I'm thinking that is an electronically switched unit..... not relay switching..... on each zone and without a load on a particular circuit(zone) it may show voltage. Once the load is connected it should drop to 0v.

I'd concentrate on the wiring especially where the common connects to all the valves. It may be in an underground cubicle. Then work with zone 1 and get it working.

Old 05-27-19, 01:50 PM
J
********SOLVED**********

Thanks so much for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

I spent 5 hours digging around to see if the common white wire was spliced etc. I also had installed stakes for my vegetable garden, so I dug up all that area, but did not find any wires or spliced wires.

In the end, I found some wires coming from Rain sensor to the ground, and that wire had a splice. I reconnected that wire and sprinklers started again!

I was skeptical about it, because the rain sensor is NOT even attached to the controller

Anyways, I am still at odds as to how or why this happened, but am glad that it works now.

Again, as always, I really appreciate all the replies and the advice.

Old 05-27-19, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,192 Votes on 1,103 Posts
It wasn't in particularly the rain sensor..... it was probably just the ground connection.
A broken/corroded common connection is a typical problem with sprinkler systems.