Wrought iron patio set advice.

Old 06-16-19, 06:40 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wrought iron patio set advice.

I bought a wrought iron patio set that needs to be redone. Can someone advise me what type of spray paint to use? I want to paint it black but I am confused on the best finish type i.e. flat, gloss, satin, hammered etc. I live in Michigan the set will be outside covered in the winter. Thank you!

Old 06-16-19, 10:01 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Typ the higher the gloss the better, more durable the finish but it's not by some grand scale.

Clean the metal, a good primer and know that by leaving outside it will need to be redone in a few years.

If you want the best finish look into powder coating but that is not a DIY coating and will be more expensive!

Old 06-17-19, 03:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree, clean it up the best you can, prime and apply a coat or two of finish paint. Normally brushed on paint will create a heavier film which means more protection but an aerosol can is easier. Multiple light coats works best for spray cans.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 06-17-19, 10:57 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies and welcome. I was looking at the hammered spray paint but I can't find much info on it. The set will be covered in the winter with a tarp.

Old 06-17-19, 11:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've only applied the hammer paint once but it didn't come out quite right. Apparently I applied it too fluid and it flowed together negating the hammer texture.

Old 06-17-19, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I have painted a ton of wrought iron, and 2 things are true. 1). It will eventually rust no matter what primer or paint you use. 2). It takes a lot of prep (wire brushing) before repainting.

On that 2nd point, it's my opinion that when flat black is used, it is SO MUCH easier to prep and repaint using the same- flat black.

When gloss black is used, it bubbles and blisters wherever rust occurs, making it harder to prep, more likely to fail. Like Marq1 says, I think gloss black is great for durability, but I think flat black has the benefit of being easier to take care of.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: