First Zone of Sprinkler System Issue

Old 07-17-19, 06:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First Zone of Sprinkler System Issue

Seems like a unique problem...6 zone sprinkler system. When activated, Zone 1 does not produce water. After the time runs on Zone 1, Zone 2 and subsequent zones activate just fine. However, if during Zone 2 you skip back to Zone 1, Zone 1 produces water and the entire cycle runs just fine.

I've ordered a new controller in case that's the issue, but wondering if there's something else I should be looking into? Seems like the valve is working fine, just doesn't get activated on the first signal.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-19, 11:10 PM
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
Through the controller can you select and turn on zone 1 itself?

If so then I would agree the valve seems to be working and it's the controller.

Does your controller have more than 6 zones, can you move it to number 7 and just bypass 1?

Old 07-19-19, 09:08 AM
Zone 1 will not work at the controller if I select it, UNLESS I start the cycle, skip zone 1, activate zone 2, and then go back to zone 1. After doing that, then the whole cycle runs fine.

That's a great idea except it is a 6 zone controller.

Thanks for your response!

Old 07-19-19, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
Try swapping your zone wires at the controller. For example hook zone 6 to #1 on the controller. If the problem continues when you have zone 6 hooked up to the zone 1 contact on the controller then you know it's the controller and nothing in the wiring or valve.

Old 07-22-19, 05:37 AM
Pilot Dane - Thanks for that tip. I ordered a new controller because the other one did have a short (although I didn't know if that was the cause or not). When I installed the new one the same issue was happening. I swapped zones 1 and 2 and now they work just fine (albeit in a different order).

Thanks!