Broken sprinkler head

Old 10-03-19, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broken sprinkler head

Hi,

I just moved into a new house that has a irrigation system, which I have no experience with. I think I might have a broken sprinkler head, as water is coming out of it more like a faucet rather than spraying.

My question: Is the potentially broken head wasting more water than a working head is when I run it? Or is the same amount of water coming out in the same amount of time?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-19, 11:23 AM
Received 142 Votes on 132 Posts
Sprinkler heads have nozzles that restrict the flow, if something is broken it is gushing much more water than it would normally use, probably to the point where the other heads on the zone are effected.

Regardless it needs to be replaced!

peter72 voted this post useful.
Old 10-03-19, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 272 Posts
If you have a broken emitter that is gushing water yes it is wasting a lot of water. It can also cause problems for the rest of the system. With a broken emitter that zone can't get up to full pressure for the other emitters to work properly. Luckily everything is inexpensive and easy to replace.

peter72 voted this post useful.
Old 11-10-19, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just replaced a bunch of sprinkler heads myself after watching YouTube videos. I fixed a broken one that was glued in place which required splicing new ones in line. I found handy adapters at the big box hardware that made it easy. If I can do it anyone can. Look up homewerks coupler.