Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Water Pooling Around Sprinkler Heads after New Sod Installed

Old 04-10-20, 02:05 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I just replaced a few sprinkler heads and new risers in newly sodded St Augustine grass in the DFW area. I noticed that a couple of them are pooling water and saturating the grass which is also causing run off. I've replaced 7 or more in the past without incident. I've looked at both of them closely with water on and both look to have good pressure and working properly. Don't see any leaks on the valves. Other heads are also a bit mushy around them but nothing like the 2 I mentioned. I don't use pipe dope or teflon tape and hand tighten the heads.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

04-10-20, 03:26 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
You mentioned pooling. Are the sprinklers located too low causing a low spot to collect water?

You said you looked at the valves and did not see any leaks but are there any leaks at the emitters? Keep in mind that they can leak underground at the base where they attach to the riser. They can also leak where the cap attaches to the body. And the pop-up can leak if it doesn't rise fully or if is deformed and doesn't form a good seal.

Old 04-10-20, 03:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
You mentioned pooling. Are the sprinklers located too low causing a low spot to collect water?

You said you looked at the valves and did not see any leaks but are there any leaks at the emitters? Keep in mind that they can leak underground at the base where they attach to the riser. They can also leak where the cap attaches to the body. And the pop-up can leak if it doesn't rise fully or if is deformed and doesn't form a good seal.

t2star, YaddaYadda voted this post useful.
Old 04-11-20, 08:03 AM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
It's possible you nicked the main zone pipe when digging out the sprinkler heads. The pipe wall is thin and you are digging blind.

t2star voted this post useful.
Old 04-11-20, 02:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used incorrect terminology. When I said "valves' I meant sprinkler nozzles. Don't see any leaks on the body or nozzle. Also double checked the tightness of the sprinkler body.

I'm in the process of trying to locate the valves but that's another story.

At the level of the PVC lines I was digging by hand. No chance of nicking the main pipe.