Sprinkler system

Old 04-30-20, 12:43 PM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sprinkler system

Back when, I used TinyPix to get a photo into URL for posting in an internet forum. I did not use it much and now I see it's gone.
So I am looking for another free site to occasionally upload a pix. It would be rare that I would do this.
I looked at Flickr and Shutterfly but I cannot figure out how to get a pix converted to a URL for posting.
Any help appreciated.

Old 04-30-20, 01:40 PM
K
OK and TNX.
I tried it and it seems to work for me. I just have to figure out which one works and when.
I figured out how to copy and paste to an email and it appears that when I want the URL that is there too.
TNX again.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 04-30-20, 01:21 PM
Received 649 Upvotes on 574 Posts
Try IMGUR. __________________________________

Old 04-30-20, 01:26 PM
K
Failed Again

OK, I am not sure the pix will show. It says it's an attachment but I don't see it here in the post.
The pix will show how I built this thing.
The 3/4" to 1/2" slip fittings keep failing. The first build used unions but would not seal due to poor quality.
So I changed things around eliminating the unions and just hard piping but did not use any sealant on the 3/4" fittings. They leaked, dripping at a rate of maybe 1 drip every 5 seconds or so.
So I did the thing over again using Teflon tape. 2 of the 4 still leaked.
Did the thing again with non hardening PFTE sealant tightening only 1 to 1 1/2 turns past hand tight as recommended. Still had 2 of 4 leaking.
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I over torqued the 3/4" fittings the first time with no sealant and ruined the threads on the fittings so they won't seal?
I don't mind replacing the valves if required. I would just like to get the system up and running and no leaks on the pressure side to supply my drip irrigation system and timer so when we travel things will get watered.
The system will have water supplied by the faucet and will be drained and secured in the winter here at 5200' in AZ.
Any ideas? I have built a lot of systems on homes in the past and never had this type of problem.
Down below it says the pix is attached so I hope it shows.

Attached Images  
Old 04-30-20, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,340 Upvotes on 2,999 Posts
Welcome to the the forums.

Threads combined.
Tinypics is a site blocked here at DIY.
Imgur is very good to use.
You can also post pictures directly to the board..... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 04-30-20, 03:35 PM
K
In case you don't know, TinyPix no longer exists. So blocking it makes no sense at this point.
And I tried following your directions and got nowhere for posting a pix.
I guess I did not understand it.
I did not combine the posts as things had changed so much from using unions to hard piping and different methods of trying to seal the fittings.

Old 04-30-20, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,340 Upvotes on 2,999 Posts
Are you posting from a phone or a laptop ?
It's fairly easy from a laptop or pad. More difficult from a phone.

Old 04-30-20, 04:06 PM
K
Neither~~I am posting from my PC.
And obviously by post #3 above, I figured it out.

Old 05-01-20, 04:42 AM
K
I am going to start over once again as I don't have a choice.
However, this time to avoid the problem of not being able to tighten the 3/4" fittings at the valve once the rest is glued in place I will make a test jig.
I will install the fitting with added length of pipe to allow connecting of a water source to test for leaks at the fitting. I will start with the old valves to see of I damaged the threads to the point where they will not seal. I will replace the valves as required. I will also use Teflon tape as I have had really good luck with it.
This is will me to pressure test the fitting and tighten as necessary. Once I have confirmed I don't have any leaks at the fittings I can go ahead and glue the rest of the system in place.
Never have I had so many problems with a water system!

Old 05-01-20, 07:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I don't see a problem cut the inlet in middle put a slip coupling in. First tighten them till they won't turn with about 20 pounds of torque. They will almost squeak at that point. It is a learned feel to know the right pressure to put on fitting.
PS pretty country out there, Had friends in Prescott and lived in Phoenix for several years.

Old 05-01-20, 07:20 AM
K
Designed it with couplings in the first place so the 4 valves could be replaced if the need came up.
The foreign made couplers in 4 stores locally are junk, at best. The side of the coupler that contained the o-ring and groove it sat in had o-rings that did not even come above the surface to make contact with the totally flat surface on the other side. You could take a flat blade and lay in across the surface and the o-ring did not even make contact. I don't know if this stuff was old stock or the o-rings shrunk but either way they would not seal.

Old 05-01-20, 07:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Talking about slip couplers. Never used unions on those valves , just easier to cut tube and replace with another pipe and threaded fitting. Be sure to leave enough at bottom fitting to get a slip coupler in.

Old 05-01-20, 07:31 AM
K
OK, mgh have worked. Not familiar with them.

Old 05-01-20, 07:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They don't make a full slip on fitting like they do for copper. Just a regular fitting you put on one side and glue them in. than the fun part comes to get gue on all fittings and line up pipes to assemble while glue is still wet.

Old 05-01-20, 11:43 AM
K
Correction, I see that Teflon tape is not recommended for PVC threads.
So, I will go with the Oatey Great White sealant that I have.
Starting to build the test jig so I can test these fittings for leaks before I build the manifold.
That should solve this problem I was having.

Old 05-03-20, 06:58 AM
K
OK, I made up a little test jig so I could check those 3/4" fittings before I glued the manifold together and I used the Otey Great White sealant.I also bought new valves after looking at the threads.
I only hand tightened the fittings then applied water pressure and then tightened them about one turn past where they stopped leaking.
I then put the lower manifold together and all is well now.
I can only guess that i over tightened the fittings without using sealant the first time.
Lessons learned.

Old 05-03-20, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job it is all in a learned feeling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: