reseeding & pre-emergents

Old 05-06-20, 12:24 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
reseeding & pre-emergents

My lawn is struggling and has been since I moved in two years ago.

I had it slice seeded at the beginning of April. The plan drawn up by the company I'm working with was to slice seed super early and then apply weed control after the seeds germinated. But the seeding didn't take - possibly due to cold temperatures (I live in the northeast). So the company's new plan is to apply weed control this month (May) and then reseed in June. However, I've read that a lawn should not be reseeded until 4 months after a pre-emergents application. So is the company I'm working with just wrong?

If so, what route should I go? Pre-emergent application now and then reseed in the fall. Or, scrap the weed control application and just reseed right now?

Old 05-06-20, 04:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
It all depends on what herbicides are being applied.

Old 05-06-20, 05:01 PM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
Your stating two things, pre-emergence, which is for the control of crab grass, and weed control, which is a herbicide!

They are not the same.

Typ you apply the pre-emergence in the early spring to knock out the crab grass, then move on to weed and feeding through the rest of the season.

Once you ad the pre-emergence you have to wait a period of time befor you can seed because the seed will not germinate with pre-emergence.

Id say skip the pre-emergence for the year, it's a bit too late, then go with seeding!

peter72 voted this post useful.
Old 05-06-20, 07:36 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot and Marq, thanks. Yeah, you're right. Not completely sure what I'm talking about. But this is exactly what the company said: "our first round has a Pre Emergent for crabgrass in it, we also add it in when we spray for broadleaf weeds"

So if I skip the pre-emergence, then could I do weed control now and reseed in June?

Old 05-06-20, 10:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Where you are makes a difference - if warm season grasses, then it's maybe still ok but might be too late. You said northeast, so I'm thinking cool season grasses and June would be about the worst possible time to plant; you want to wait for the peak heat of summer to be over in August or early September.

Old 05-07-20, 05:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
Unless you know what products they intend to apply, it's all just guessing. There are products that could work and others that won't.

Pre-emergent herbicide is most often used against weeds that aren't easily controlled after they are established like crabgrass for example. There are many options to control it pre-emergence and most are dry granular products which are easy to apply. The only post-emergent herbicides I know of for crabgrass are liquids (Drive XLR8 and maybe Tenacity) which requires more equipment to apply like a tow behind tank sprayer.

Most other broadleaf weeds are easy to control with products containing 2,4-D and others. Most of these products can be applied throughout the growing season. Most of these products are also in liquid form which can make application over a large lawn difficult without the right equipment. I normally use it in a pump sprayer and walk the yard and do spot application just on the weeds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: